Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Occasional Pumping question

Default Occasional Pumping question

Hi Ladies!
    I'm 30 weeks pregnant and trying to prepare for when our little one arrives. I plan on breast feeding for as long as possible since I'm going to be a SAHM, but I want to pump occasionally so my DH can help with the feedings some and for when we're out in public (until I get comfortable BFing).
    So my question is, can I pump from one breast while my baby is feeding from the other? Or would it be better to wait until he is done feeding?
    Any other tips for me??

Thanks!!
    Kelly

Default Re: Occasional Pumping question

I'm sure other moms will have suggestions on the type of pump you need but I wanted to mention if you need a breast pump you should check with your insurance company before you buy one. A friend from these boards told me that some insurance companies will cover part of the cost of a breast pump. I checked with mine (Blue Cross and Blue Shield) and they covered 100% of the cost for a Medela PIS Advanced. All I had to do is get a prescription for the pump from the pediatrician and take it to a "durable medical equipment pharmacy." Check with your insurance company!!

Some insurance companies will not cover it but it is well worth the call to ask.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

When my lo was first born, he couldn't come home with me, so I had to pump in order to get my milk to come in. Once it did come in, I didn't want to mess with my supply by pumping. A lot of people also recommend holding off on giving a bottle until the baby is 6 weeks.

This being said, I think you could do it either way. You'll have to wait and see if your lo likes to take milk from one or both at a feeding. Having baby on one side and pumping the other may help you pump more from that side but might also require coordination (which I don't think I have). One of the LCs that I saw recommended pumping both breasts for 10-15 minutes after the morning feeding. Now that I know how to fix the lipase problem, I'm going to try to start doing that.

Congratulations!

Theresa

you can pump on one side while you are nursing on the other. the first time i tried this, i enlisted my dh to help me find the best position to hold the baby and the pump. you will pump the most milk this way ( according to a lactation consultant that i met with) when your lo is finished nursing on the first side, let her nurse on the side you have just pumped, and your lo will be able to enjoy all of the yummy hindmilk that is left in your breast

Thanks ladies!! You guys are so much help!

I also have an occasional pumping question...

I pump only occasionally for my 3 month old girl (maybe once every week or two).

do I have to sterilize all the equipment every time?? Or is the dishwasher sufficient? I don't mind pumping but the cleanup/sterilizing is a pain.

Let me know what you think - Thanks!

Beth in California