Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about making applesauce

Default question about making applesauce

Which apples are the best to use when making applesauce for my 6 1/2 MO DS? Should I mix in a little EBM with them to make them a little more runny? Doesn't sound all that appetizing to mix milk with them though

Default Re: question about making applesauce

I use the Fuji apples and they make very good sweet apple sauce. They freeze well too. I just cut them up, boil them until tender and them puree them in the food processor. When you boil them, they become so tender that you really don't have to add any extra water or BM. I've even started adding a little bit of cinnimon to the apples. HTH

Look for the sweet variety of apples. Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, etc. The tarter apples might be too much for your LO's tastes (macintosh, johnathans, granny smith, etc.)

If you want to make them a little runnier, you can add a touch of water or unsweetened apple juice or white grape juice.

Lisa

i dont know since my in laws make it for us....but what about a little of the water you cook them in since some vitamins will be in there?? the ice cube tray trick works reallly good for applesauce btw and its a great gimmick to get a toddler to eat it too...also, i put half a cube in that net bag feeder thing for ds's teething troubles
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

I don't even boil them. Just throw the peeled, cored apples in a pot, cover it and let them cook down. If you wanted you could add liquid when you serve it and mash the coarse pieces. I agree with the op, sweeter choices are good. I use a mix of apples most sweet and one or two tart. The results are good.
    Last edited by tmontagna; January 31st, 2007 at 09:50 AM.