Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much is enough?

Unhappy How much is enough?

Please help! My baby girl is two months old, and weights 4.5kg's and im really worried that she's not getting enough milk. i dont have a problem with milk supply, but she only feeds for about 10 minutes every 2 to 3 hours. When i give her expressed milk she drinks about 80 to 100ml's. She seems happy enough but my midwife says she should be picking up about 250 to 300 grams a week and she's only picking up between 100 and 150? Would love some feedback! Thanks!

Default Re: How much is enough?

counting diapars is the way to go
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

from that link
    These are additional important signs that indicate your baby is receiving enough milk:

The baby nurses frequently averaging at least 8-12 feedings per 24-hour period.
    The baby is allowed to determine the length of the feeding, which may be 10 to 20 minutes per breast or longer.
    Baby's swallowing sounds are audible as he is breastfeeding.
    The baby should gain at least 4-7 ounces per week after the fourth day of life.
    The baby will be alert and active, appear healthy, have good color, firm skin, and will be growing in length and head circumference.

is your baby feeding 8-12 times in 24 hours? Some new borns need to nurse closer to the 12 times to have weight gain.
    If shes not having the weight gain that the mid wife likes what did she say to do?
    Sometimes just adding a few extra feeds each day helps, lots of skin to skin contact helps them to be reminded to nurse.
    Breast compressions can help also. where you massage the breast while baby is nursing so they will drink more milk.

Average weight gain for a breastfed baby is about 6 ounces per week, with 4-8 ounces being considered a normal range. That correlates to about 113-227 grams per week. So, your baby seems to be on the low end of that, but still within an acceptable range. What was her birthweight? Lowest weight after birth? Are you seeing at least 6 wet diapers in 24 hours? Some babies are efficient nursers and can get all they need in 10 minutes or less. Does she nurse on one side at each feeding or both?

I'd like to agree with ppl and also add that sometimes the "norm" is total bs. You can go over the top, or grow slower and still have a healthy baby. Don't read to much into the speed at which your baby is starting off, she'll catch up! count some diapers for a day to see whats going on. Your doing a great job, everything will be FINE!

Smile Re: How much is enough?

Thank you all for your replies and for the info, it really is amazing how far a little reassurance goes!

To answer all your questions;
    Ava has about 9 feeds a day, the midwife suggested i top up with formula, im really not happy about doing that though as i would like to exclusively breastfeed for as long as possible.

Wet nappies - neverending! she seldom has a dry nappy, we probably go through about 9 a day.

Birth weight was 3.56kg's, she dropped to 3.3kg's, though she was picking up about 300grams during the first couple of weeks, not too sure what went wrong from then.

While feeding, she will only feed on one side for about 10 minutes, i have tried all sorts to get her to feed again but she's not interested!

We're going to the midwife today for a checkup so hopefully she has picked up more weight.

Wish me luck and thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Wet nappies - neverending! she seldom has a dry nappy, we probably go through about 9 a day.

Birth weight was 3.56kg's, she dropped to 3.3kg's, though she was picking up about 300grams during the first couple of weeks, not too sure what went wrong from then.

While feeding, she will only feed on one side for about 10 minutes, i have tried all sorts to get her to feed again but she's not interested!
    Hi. So if you get between 5-6 wet diapers or 8+ wet cloth diapers you don't need to suppliment. Its not nessesary. In fact what you'll do is counter productive. I'd just let that one go. You are obviously producing enough milk! No doubt about it! Formula isn't as good as what you have, why fill her up on formula when she's already full of the real stuff. So she's growing slow. So what.
    Have you tried giving her a bath to wake her up? That and diaper changes always helped. ( and rough touch) Seems like every two to two and a half hours should be good. But you can always give it shot and try to keep her near the boobie more A nice warm bath and holding her close should get her rooting around for a nipple if you feel like you need to "sell" it a bit more. Keep us posted.

Thanks! Will try your suggestions to get her feeding more!

Good news though - she picked up 250 grams this week! So relieved!

For the non-metric folks here is a summary of her weights...
    Born - 3.56kg = 7.8 pounds
    Lowest weight 3.3kg = 7.3 pounds
    2 months old 4.5kg = 9.9 pounds.

I agree with al of the PP. I just wanted to offer support and send hugs!
    My LO was a slow starter too. Born at 6.4, droped to 5.2 at 2 weeks, now up to 13lbs at 4 months). She was too tired to nurse, we had to start bottle feeding at 2 wks and then she was nursing again starting week 3. It was hard early on because I helt like I was not "providing" for her as I should but she was just a "runt." Now she is growning tall and has fat rolls!! Hang in there and your little one will grown too!

You are doing a great job!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk