Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: snotty nose

Default snotty nose

My 2 Wk old came home from the hospital with a stuffy nose. We've used saline drops and the aspirator on it (not much luck), but he's been breathing okay so we haven't bothered him much. Tonite though, I noticed that one of his nostrils seems to be looking a bit bloody. I wiped his nose and sure enough, the snot is bloody looking, almost as if he has a sinus infection. Any ideas on what to do to give him (and ME) some relief? He's been extra fussy lately and I wonder if it's that nose?

Thanks a million!

Default Re: snotty nose

many times newborns will have a nasal congested sound from the suction done after delivery. The blue bulb syringe is supposed to be used to aspirate visable mucous from the nose and/or placed into the cheek of the babies mouth if spitting up. Unless you were told by your Pedi to use the aspirator, I would leave it alone, as each time you introduce something, it actually can aggrivate/irritate it. Have you gone for your 2 week check up yet? Is your pedi aware of your LO current nasal issue status? Maybe checking in with your Pedi will help give you some relief. to you momma I know how scarry things can be when it comes to your LO.

We went for our 2 week visit yesterday. It just bothers me because tonite it changed to a bloody mucus. He was really snorking tonite and I gave him his pacifier and he sucked and breathed so hard thru his nose for so long that big red chunk of dried boogers came out (Too much info, I know). Just has me really worried...I'll call his pedi today. Thanks!

sounds like his little nose might be irritated, hope the pedi eased your worries.

I agree that it sounds like his little nose isn't feeling too hot too. My DS also was a noisy nasal breather for the first few weeks. A good test I was tipped to was if they can nurse, don't worry, because that means they can breath through their nose. If they are having trouble nursing because they need to come up to breath, then it's time to head to the doc.

Have you tried using a humidifier. My first born had alot of sinus problems but it clear up when we starting using a humidifier. With my second baby(who's two weeks old) we've used one from day one and so far his nose has been clear. And with it being winter with the dry air it wouldn't hurt to try. Good luck with you precious little one!

What your child has sounds like what my 3 month old girl has had since she was 2 weeks old.

Some infants have more narrow nasal passages, the normal mucus that is in everybody's passages seems to fill up theirs. This is too much mucus for a underdevoloped infant. My baby has been to ENT's and her regular doctor many times for this and they all tell me..."She's fine"

As your tot gets older, and her passages develop, the sound of increased drainage will go away. Meanwhile, you have to keep their passages clear for breathing, because they cant breath through their mouths yet.

What my doctors says works well, but I hate doing it. You put 2 drops of saline drops in each nostrile and then suction their nose out with a bulb syringe. Do this as often as you need to. If their nose fills up too much it will cause them to wake up moving "frantically" around because they can't breath good, and it will prevent them from not being able to drink well because they can't breath good and it wears them out.

Sometimes it seems like not much is coming out with the suction, other times you will be suprised how much you get out. A humidifier can help keep the mucus moist (and wet) enough to suction it out with more ease.

But there is "a light at the end of the tunnel", my tot only needs her nose cleaned about once a day now. As your's grows the need suction out their nose will decrease.

They will cry some when you do this, don't be alarmed, when their airway is open, they will feel much better.