Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sids

Default Sids

My daughter is 3 months old. I did a great deal of research before I bought her baby mattress, only use linen that is 100% cottton, have her sleep on her side, certainly don't allow pillows, extra item, etc. in the bed with her.

But I fear SIDS daily. Do any of you know anything further I can do?

I don't want to wish my girls "infant" days away, But part of me wants her to be old enough to be out of the danger zone.

Does anyone think about this as aften as I do? I can't get it out of my mind!!!

Advice?

Default Re: Sids

yes...I just posted on it yesterday...its awful isn't it? There were some great sites tho that hepled me with doing everything possible to prevent it. I found I was keeping the room way too warm ect. Its normal to worry. They say by 6 months the rate of sids drops by 90%.
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

I'll look for your post, and thanks for answering.

I wouldn't want to live one day without my beautiful baby girl, she is my world!

Could you tell me where you posted the SIDS info?

Having trouble finding it
    Last edited by lizzy; January 29th, 2007 at 11:04 PM.

its was under the title sids with a ? You can also do a search(top of scroll bar) on my screen name mastiffkarin and it should come up that way as well. let me know if you can't find it and I will find the link amd PM you I know how you feel. I sometimes torture myself with thoughts like that as well. I try and put the kabosh on that quick tho...you can make yourself mental.
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

I don't know where you got the side sleeping info. All I ever heard was "back to sleep," i.e. that putting bb on her back is safest. Something else you can do is buy a sleep sack for your LO. They're great to use instead of blankets and covers, and safer. Some (e.g. Alvi brand) are made especially to prevent heat buildup. They're a little hard to find in the states; I'd recommend ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by news_mr View Post
    I don't know where you got the side sleeping info. All I ever heard was "back to sleep," i.e. that putting bb on her back is safest. Something else you can do is buy a sleep sack for your LO. They're great to use instead of blankets and covers, and safer. Some (e.g. Alvi brand) are made especially to prevent heat buildup. They're a little hard to find in the states; I'd recommend ebay.
    My girl has acid reflux, I was told that side sleeping can be best for this condition.

Esp if milk comes up when she is sleeping.

The pedi allergist and pedi GI that we saw for dd's reflux that caused apnea both said to lay her on her back on a aised mattress. Since we co-sleep, I just had her lean on daddy chest to sleep.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

I agree that back to sleep is the best method, even for babies with reflux. raising the head of the crib or bassinet they sleep in is a better option...that's what we did with my lo. We put her bassinet on a sloped bed...its actually what the doctor recommended we do for dh, who also has reflux issues. If you would like me to find the literature on this, I can do so. I read it on the sids webpage long ago.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I obsessed (OBSESSED!) about this for months. I talked about it almost non stop, it seemed- and I slept in Aaron's room just to make sure he was ok! I can totally relate to your concerns. If you can, just realize that there are so few babies that will die of SIDS and there aren't many things you can do (other than what you are doing) to prevent anything from happening. New studies are showing that babies are often pre-likely to have a problem with sleep breathing because of something in their brain, not because of a failure on part of the parents. Not that that is a comfort, but there comes a point where you just have to let go and trust (God if you believe in him!) that your DD is going to be okay. Hang in there, mama! THis is just the start of the worries about your LO in her life- can you imagine driving??? sorry to pre-scare you on that one, but she is blessed to have a mama who loves and cares for her so much as you do!