Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cleaning after Pumping away from home??

Default Cleaning after Pumping away from home??

Hi,
    I will be starting back to work soon and plan on pumping 3x/day while at work and wondered what those of you who also pump while at work do to clean the pump. A friend told me that if you keep the whole thing - shield/valve/bottle (not tubing) in the fridge right after that you don't need to clean in between pumpings - she does this while at home..
    I saw Medela makes clean wipes that you can use no need to rinse/use soap. Just wonder if that gets everything clean enough to use??
    Any input/advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Cleaning after Pumping away from home??

Yah, Shelly wrote about that, its a great idea to just pop the whole thing in the fridge and clean it up good once a week. Its already saved me about what feels like a million washes! Madela makes these microwave steam sanitizer bags (Target is where I got mine).

i pump at work 3x a day and i do not wash my pump pieces in between. i don't know if this is the best way to handle the situation, but it has been working ok for me. i read somewhere that breast milk can stay at room temp. for up to 10 hours so i figure that the milk on the breast pump isn't going to turn bad in the course of six hours. i have actually left some of my pumped milk out for an extended period of time to test its ability to withstand room temp. i don't know if this is the best advise to share but it is working for us.

I pump at work and I do two things depending on where I am . . . I travel quite a bit. When I have water, I rinse them with hot water. Otherwise, I use the Medela wipes and they do get everything really clean. In fact, sometimes the parts get kind of 'foggy' looking when I've just rinsed them, and when I use the wipes, everything is squeaky clean. I love them!

This week was my first week back at work and I decided to quickly wipe the horns with a tissue and put them in the fridge. Then I clean everything with soap and water and nuke the parts in a bag at home. So once a day cleaning and sterilizing basically.

The only downside is that I really don't like the feel of cold horns on my boobs! I'm thinking of finding a space heater so I can turn it on when I pump and warm up the horns.

I personally love the medela microwave steam bags. They are the best! Good advise on the wipes. I wasn't sure if they were worth the investment.
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

I put my parts in the fridge at work. The Medela wipes are great but expensive if you are going to use them three times a day. If the wipes are the way you go this is my advice.
    1. Clean the parts before you leave for work
    2. Pump 1 and leave the parts dirty
    3. Clean the parts and them pump 2
    4. After pump 2, clean the parts with the same wipe
    5. Pump 3 and leave the parts dirty and wash when you get home
    That way you only have to use one wipe a day. That is what I was doing until I started using the fridge at work.