Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I leave my Baby for 2 nights??

Default Can I leave my Baby for 2 nights??

My mother has offered to send my husband & I away for the weekend for my birthday. My baby ( more like toddler) is 16 months. She only asks to nurse 1 or 2 x a day, usually at night or for nap. But, the few times my husband & I went out she went to sleep with out any problems. She only asks for nummies if I'm there. I'm a stay at home mom & I've never been away from her for more than a few hours. I would love to spend some time alone with my husband. Can I leave her for 2 days? has any one else tried? I feel guilty for even wanting some time to myself...

Oh, I can't pump, It just doesn't work for me. I've tried & I only get a few ounces. She drink goats milk no problem though so I'm not worried about her physical health, just her ( & my) emotional health.

Default Re: Can I leave my Baby for 2 nights??

I think most mothers of toddlers find that they can go a day or two without nursing and resume without a problem. However, I haven't done it yet and my DD is about the same age as yours.
    My suggestion is to do a trial run, maybe several hours or one full day apart before going for 2 full days. I would also pump while you are away. Even if you don't get anything, that might help maintain your supply and relieve discomfort.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

A few ounces is pretty good. That's all I ever get at any one time no matter how long I pump. Not that you have to pump, but I just thought I would let you know that isn't uncommon to only pump that much.

Anyway, I have a close friend who breastfeeds her 18 month old in the am and at night. So basically the same as you. She left for 2 nights when the baby was 16 months old and when she came back that was the first thing she wanted to do. She did fine while she was gone. She drank cow's milk and my friend pumped to maintain supply.

I know for us, my DD is only 9 months, but she doesn't take a bottle. I left her with my Mom overnight on New Years Eve and she did fine. It surprised me. I think for some babies it's just a matter of who they are with. If she's with me, of course she wants to bf but Daddy can also walk/sing her to sleep.

Have fun on your trip.

Thank you for the advise. I think we will try 1 night away first. I think my daughter will be fine, it me that's a nervous wreck!!

I did it around 18 mos (I think)... but I left dd with daddy. I think it would have been a little harder with anyone else. Will yours be with a regular care provider? Someone you really trust and she is super comfortable with? That makes all the difference. Let dd know that you will be gone and tell her all the things she'll do while you are away (like go to sleep, wake up, have breakfast, play, lunch, nap.....) up to when you come back. Knowing exactly what will happen gave my dd a lot of comfort. Preparing my husband helped too. Tell the care provider exactly what dd's routine is (not that they need to stick to it, just so they know) and when they can expect her to get crabby and when you think she'll miss you most. That helped dh stay one step ahead of her needs and they had a great time while I was away.

I did not express any milk while I was gone and wow did I pay for it. I'm lucky to not have gotten any plugged ducts or anything.. just a rock-hard chest. So do pump a little before you go to sleep at night while you are gone. I wouldn't worry about supply - after 16 mos, you aren't going to dry up in 2 days. Your supply might dwindle, but your daughter will fix that when you return!

And stay busy while you are away so you don't spend the whole time worrying about her! It will be harder for you than for her.

it wont kill anyone to give it ago if you two need tha time away together. try to hand express some milk. if that wont work try goats milk in a sippy.
    the other thing is only you know if you can do it.