Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: a couple questions

Default a couple questions

My home health care nurse told me after my DD was born that it was okay to leave breastmilk out at room temp, for up to 6 hours.....I just read that only if it was cold? And how long can you freeze it?

Default Re: a couple questions

Hi there, just wanted to post this for ya: This is from LLL:

"Storing milk in 2-4 ounce amounts may reduce waste. Refrigerated milk has more anti-infective properties than frozen milk. Cool milk in refrigerator before adding to frozen milk.

Human milk can be stored

at room temperature (66-72°F, 19-22°C) for up to 10 hours
    in a refrigerator (32-39°F, 0-4°C) for up to 8 days
    in a freezer compartment inside a refrigerator (variable temperature due to the door opening frequently) for up to 2 weeks
    in a freezer compartment with a separate door (variable temperature due to the door opening frequently) for up to 3 to 4 months.
    in a separate deep freeze (0°F, -19°C) for up to 6 months or longer. "

HTH!

A minor point, but maybe a leader can let me know if this is true: at the last LLL meeting, one of the leaders said that they revised the accepted length of storage to 6 mos in a regular freezer and up to a year in a deep freeze. She had just been to a lecture and said that she learned the new figures there. Is this something you're familiar with?

bump, would like to know if the figures have changed too

does the 6 hours go for a bottle that has already been drank from and there is still some milk left? or does that need to be tossed right away?

The guidelines listed above are for untouched milk. Once baby has had some of the bottle, I believe it is recommended that the rest is used within 4 hours.

from kellymom:
    If baby does not finish milk at one feeding, it may be refrigerated and offered at the next feeding before it is discarded.
    and:
    "...Based on this study, which admittedly needs to be done on a larger scale, it would seem to me that expressed breast milk, fed to the baby, partially consumed, and then refrigerated, could be used for one more feeding no more than four hours later. That's probably fairly conservative. One of the best tests of whether the milk is spoiled is to do what you do with cow's milk: Smell it and taste it!"