Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bleeding nipple and spit up

Default bleeding nipple and spit up

i know that the blood in my daughters spit up is from my nipple so i wasnt alarmed to see it. the problem is that she seems to keep spitting up everything that she is eating off of it. when i go to burp her after she feeds on that side she continues to spit up until all of the milk she just consumed is gone. i dont know what to do -how am i supposed to feed her if she cant keep any of it down. -this is not a normal amount of spit up. and she is still hungry afterwards.:confused: :(

Default Re: bleeding nipple and spit up

Does she have reflux or is it just when she nurses that side? Have you tried pumping that side and giving it to her as ebm? Does she spit that up too? If so, have you tried nursing her only on the side that doesn't bleed and only pumping the other until it heals? Does she latch properly? If she isn't latching properly you could try a nipple guard until she does, also use lots of lanolin. You may want to see an LLL or LC to help if it is a latch problem. My dd didn't nurse correctly at first, she wouldn't drop her jaw and pause to suck, she just kind of "chewed", an LC helped us to correct it.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

How old is your baby? Also...is it projectile spit up? You may want to talk to your doctor about the possibility of a little reflux. I found that I often had to not sit my son straight up when i burped him because he would spit up alot. It has gotten better with age though.

That sounds really frustrating and somewhat worrisome.

I checked your previous posts to get an idea how old your baby is (about 2 months now, right?) and I see that you were dealing with thrush back in February. How is that going? The bleeding nipple suggests to me that the thrush may not be resolved.

About her excessive spitting up -- the most immediate concern is whether she's keeping enough down to stay hydrated. How's her diaper output since this started?

I'll wait for your answers, and hopefully others will also chime in with more ideas and support.

--Rebecca

i want to thank you all for such quick responses.
    yes she is 2 months old. we have had a lot of problems from the beginning -from latching on to thrush and im honestly not sure if we ever had the thrush.
    i have actually been pumping my left side for several weeks -it has been in really bad shape -split in 2 places from blisters earlier in the feeding process that would just never heal and the pain kept getting worse. a little over a week ago it looked like it was almost completely healed up -just 2 very small scabby areas left so i put her back on for one feeding and i assume she didnt latch on properly and blistered it back -but they didnt really look like blisters they were just like swollen red areas. so i continued pumping. last night i put her on again and it went fine. then in the middle of the night -she must not have been latched on correctly because when we got up this morning there were 2 new white blisters. but i put her back on again anyways -and when i took her off the red swollen areas from the previous week were back and looked as though they had been bleeding -the new blisters looked fine.
    i went to burp her and it was kinda projectile -it was about an ounce. it was all over her face and one of her arms, on the front of my shirt, ran down the side of my shirt and across to the back and some went on the couch. there were about 4 pea sized spots of brownish blood in it. when i went back over to her to pick her back up she had clear fluid (prbly saliva) and 5 very small bright red spots on her top. less than an hour later i fed her on the good side and she kept it down fine so i put her back on the left side again and this time when i took her off she just kept spitting up until it looked like about an ounce or so. this time all of it had a slight pinkish tint to it.
    so yes i again pumped what little was left in my breast because she was still very hungry (from spitting it all up) and she kept it down fine.

i am just very very frustrated from all of the problems we have had -and pumping by hand is very time consuming and physically uncomfortable.

From what you just described it sounds like a poor latch is the main cause of your problems, try a nipple guard, Medela makes ones that are very thin silicon with a missing notch for nose to breast skin contact. It will stop her from latching incorrectly, allow for your nipple to heal and maybe even teach her how to properly latch.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Madela also makes PureLan which is a cream to help the nipple...you don't need to wipe it off I believe prior to nursing. Have you spoken to a lactation consultant? I would get some help..if not for just the support. Also..i would still discussd the spitting up with doctor. Just keep in mind....breast milk is the most natural thing you can give your baby..but the process is not as natural as some people think...it takes time to really learn and master for some people. I still remember at 1 month sobbing in pain when I nursed ds and thinking I would never last...I"m 6 months into is and have worked through the pain, poor latch on the left, low milk supply etc. But don't be afraid to get the help and support you need.

Good luck
    Keep it up.