Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply issue?

Default Supply issue?

So, ds has been fighting the breast for quite a while now (2 mo off and on). Things got better for a few days then yesterday everything went back to square one. He latches on but only stays latched for a few seconds (sometimes a couple of minutes) before pulling off. When I latch him back on the same happens. He doesn`t cry just doesn`t seem hungry. The only time he actually empties my breast is early in the morning. He just snacks through the day.

Tonight I broke down and gave him a bottle of formula thinking he must be hungry. He reluctantly ate about 2 oz and went on playing with the bottle. He was not hungry.

I`m so confused. I actually told Dh that it would be a miracle if he stayed latched for 5 min. He doesn`t wet as many diapers as he used to, but still about 5 a day. He poops 2-3 times every day. His poos were very green and mucousy for a while than returned to nice and yellow for a couple of days (he was eating better too) then again back to green yesterday. His weight gain slowed down significantly too. (about half of what he`d been gaining before).

I sooooo want to bf him but this is getting too frustrating. I cry a lot too.
    TIA and sorry for being so long

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Default Re: Supply issue?

You're doing so great! Don't give up yet. Molly has been a hard bf nut to crack since she's been born. We've had our ups and downs too. Try not to get too discouraged. Are you pumping a lot? Keep pumping. Also, when molly is resisting nursing sometimes nursing her in a warm bath helps. She starts rooting and seeks it out. Sometimes it's just a nice way to reconnect when the nursing isn't going well.

Thank you Juniper20 for your encouraging words. I do pump and I`ve been already seeing a difference in my supply. I think the hot bath would do just as much good to me as it does to ds
    I`m little better today. New strength for a new day.

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

I'm right there with you. LO is 8 weeks and fighting the breast, crying, etc. My supply is dropping, things have improved since I started fenugreek but I'm still worried. Get lots of rest (as much as possible right?) and drink lots of water!! Im also trying to pump after feeding as I think DS isnt emptying the breast, hes just giving up when the flow stops. I do compressions until he gives up.

Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by foreverhomeless View Post
    Tonight I broke down and gave him a bottle of formula thinking he must be hungry. He reluctantly ate about 2 oz and went on playing with the bottle. He was not hungry.

He doesn`t wet as many diapers as he used to, but still about 5 a day. He poops 2-3 times every day.
    Don't let those STUPID weight charts distress you! From what I see you are doing just fine! You have enough pees (even if you think they aren't enough, 5-6 is what the rest of us get) you poops are great. It looks like a boobie misunderstanding to me. You being the one that is misunderstanding, your LO being the one who has it down pat! Your milk must come out fast- bb IS getting enough! trust your body a little here. You are a great mama!

You know I should really quit worrying. If I`m not worrying about his appetite then it`s something else I drive my poor dh nuts sometimes with my worries. At 5 mo with over 15 lbs I really should not worry. But you are right, those weight charts are misleading. At his 4 mo WBV we were told that he is only 10% on the charts (although, I think they were looking at formula charts).

Mommy to a busy toddler

Jim Elliot