Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nursing and sleep

Default nursing and sleep

Hello, I have a great 9m boy.I have not had really any big problems nursing and enjoy it. One problem I think i have is, I can not place my son down when he is tired. He does need to nurse to fall asleep. I have had some success in the last few days, he would nurse and look like he is relaxed and I would place him in his crib and then he will fall asleep even if he wakes up. I just would like to be able to say it is nap time, and place him in his crib. Other moms have told me that nursing him to sleep is bad. What is your thoughts? I am going to start weaning him soon. (at 12-13 months) I was also told to do it slowly. So i am nervous when I start taking his nap time drink away, will he be able to take his great naps. I dont want to give him formula to fall asleep.
    Last edited by Logans_mom; March 16th, 2006 at 10:03 PM.

Default Re: nursing and sleep

its ok to nurse to sleep, but falling asleep w/ a bottle in the mouth is unhealthy and he may want it again every time he wakes back up, so if you're sure you want to wean so soon, he should get used to falling asleep other ways. stoller rides can put a baby out good, rocking, wearing him in a sling... if you're lucky, maybe he'll get used to a heartbeat-rhythm patting to fall asleep. I always nursed to sleep because its the easiest. My daughter didn't roll much so I gave up the crib and would nurse her to sleep on a mattress or in our bed. that way i did't need to set her down - she was already laying down. I haven't weaned her and she's 23 mos, but now that I can talk to her, I can say I'll be back to check on her and when I come back she's asleep. It still amazes me because I got so used to nursing her down.

Thank you for you idea. I would like to teach him to fall asleep another way so when my husband takes care of him he can fall asleep. I am very use to putting him asleep with nursing. I need to learn something new too.

Some mothers find that nursing to sleep is relaxing not only for baby, but for mother, too...all of the relaxation hormones released and such. The way that a lot of moms look at it is that if they need to lie down with their babies/toddlers or sit and pat their backs, you really could also be nursing, too, and chances are that if they are really tired, they'll be out a lot sooner than patting or rocking to sleep.

To share just a bit of personal experience, my son has always been nursed to sleep for naps and at bedtime. BUT, my DH has also been able to have "daddy time" with him if I am not at home or need a break from bedtime duty and if they do their special rock/sing/swing deal, he would fall asleep that way when he was that age and beyond. It was a wonderful bonding time for them, too.

Hello, the problem I have is he does not fall asleep when rocked in arms. At least not that I noticed. He may with his dad but not with me. He is to big now for the swing. When I put him in his stroller, he is so busy looking around he does not want to sleep even if he is really tired. I don't know.

My dd goes to sleep much better without nursing if I'm nowhere to be seen. If you aren't around, the rules are totally different so if you are worried about how baby will get to sleep when you are away, don't be: daddy and baby will work out their own thing fairly gracefully.

If you want baby to go down without nursing while you are present, that's a different story, but as far as your husband goes... Baby and daddy just need to figure it out themselves because even if you teach your baby to fall asleep while you cuddle or rock, he may STILL want daddy to, say, sing to him or something. Know what I mean? Its funny how differently my dd goes down for her grandma and mother and father and my friend who babysits. Totally different relationships with each of us.

I may have misunderstood. Are you wanting him to go to sleep without nursing when you are present or to be able to be gone at bedtime and he dad can put him to sleep? You said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Logans_mom
    Hello, the problem I have is he does not fall asleep when rocked in arms. At least not that I noticed. He may with his dad but not with me.

I really would like both. I am really worried about when I am gone. I do not want to leave him with anyone since I am worried he will not go down. I have had experience that he did not fall asleep with the people i leave him with. Then my husband says he always has a hard time with him at night. I am not sure if he is not patient or what. Then I would like him to be able to go to sleep on his own. When I am not going to nurse anymore, i would like to place him down. Many of my friends babies are able to fall asleep by their selves and they do look at me weird since Logan can not. He currently does not go to sleep rocking. I went on a walk today.( 2 mil walk) he did not fall asleep. He should have since it was his nap time. He is getting better on some days.

Smile Re: nursing and sleep

Hi -
    I would recommend the book, The No Cry Sleep Solution, by ELizabeth Pantley. I have a dd who has always fought going to sleep for anyone else, only her nana can swing her to sleep outside sometimes and then she will wake up very upset if she has been laid down on the bed while asleep. You just have to come up with a plan to nurse and then put him in bed awake and don't go back on the plan. You can sit there and pat him some, smile at him, even if he is crying. At this age, they usually have a hard time fighting sleep at nap time after being nursed. Just commit to how you will do it and stick to it. That is all you need to know. I tried it all and my dd is just a light sleeper who is very particular and knows what she wants, but I did have success putting her in the crib at this age and letting her cry some but I was right there patting her and letting her know it was ok, then putting my head down and just waiting. My problem was I did not stick with my plan, we went out of town and I did not realize that as they get older it only gets harder to change these habits. Your ds is a perfect age to change to a new way of going to sleep with a minimal amount of heartache for all involved. Or you can end up waiting until the are talking and getting up on their own and coming out to the living room and having a huge tantrum, etc., etc.
    Also, as for the other moms. I always felt intimidated that because I had "spoiled" my child by nursing she was the only one who could not be laid down to go to sleep on her own. Now, I know one formula fed baby whose mom has been driving her around in the car at nap time and enduring hours of going to sleep time at night because they just could not get it right. That made me feel so good to talk with her!! Now at 2 and 1/2, she has stopped letting her dd nap and just puts her to bed at 8. I am so happy that my dd is still napping because I am nursing. I also know a number of other 3 year olds who are not napping - or they nap at daycare, but they won't nap for their parents. So, don't let someone make you think that it is just the nursed babies who have these problems. Hope this helps! Go to the library!

Thank you so much for the info. I was told of the book by another person so I definately will get it. I put him down today, but he just screamed and screamed. I heard you can let them cry for hours or you should not let them cry more than 15 min. THank you, I will read that book next.