Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I the only one???

Question Am I the only one???

Anyone exclusively pump and work FT (outside of the home)? My DS is 14 weeks and I just went back to work, while pumping exclusively. I was wondering if anyone is successful with this, and often they pump. I am at my wits end. By the time I cart my pump, cooler, and bag of supplies I am exausted just getting to work!

Default Re: Am I the only one???

I'm an Ep'er and went back to work when dd was 2 months old. I'm lucky in that we have a room to use with a dedicated refridgerator.

But you should see me loading dd into and out of the car in morning/afternoon. I'm trying to juggle my pump bag, cooler, her and cooler bag that went to daycare with her. It is tricky.

This was my pumping schedule 1 month after returning to work:

6am - 8-11 oz
    9:30 - 7-9 oz
    12:30 - 4-7 oz
    3:30 - 4-7 oz
    7:00 - 4-7 oz
    10:30/11:30 (depending on my bedtime) - 4-7 oz

DD is now 9 months, and I pump 4 times a day, sometimes 3 if I'm busy. I get 10-14 ounces first thing in the morning, and then about 10 each other time.

I work FT and EP. I work rotating day shifts (meaning I don't go to work at the same time every day) so I have to adjust my pumping schedule for that. My job has been really supportive of my pumping. I went back to work when DS was 6 weeks old and he is now 5 months. Everything has gone well so far. I hope to EP until DS is 1yo! Good luck.

BTW, I have a lot of pics of DS in my office. That has helped me tremendously when I am away from him.

Anyone have a recommendation for pumping sessions...currently I do 7, 15 min each, getting about 45 plus in a 24 hr period. Is it too early to drop to six or space them 4 hrs apart...I am going nuts. DS is almost 15 weeks.

What were other pumpers schedules like?

I had a friend who did as you do, and she ended up renting a second pump to keep at work. I know that's a financial issue but she said it was the only way for her to keep it up, she couldn't deal with all the schlepping stuff back and forth. Would a second pump be possible for you? ANd they make those mini fridge/cooler things now that plug into a car battery, would that work for storage? Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.