Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I doing this right? Questions about baby-led

Default Re: Am I doing this right? Questions about baby-led

So along the same lines of the OP question - Can I ask how apple would work?? I mean how can they really eat that???

FWIW DS can now get the following in eat em...

Chereios
    Peas (de-skinned)
    Beans

... but the banana still causes issues. we tried again this am and he puked all on the highchair! but at least the gag reflex worked better this time.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    So along the same lines of the OP question - Can I ask how apple would work?? I mean how can they really eat that???
    Well FWIW we don't play around with banana very much at all! We did initially cuz they're on the list but you only have to step on banana a few times to not want to deal with them if they aren't a favorite.
    Apples however have been on the favorite list since about 7&1/2 or 8months. You slice them thin and hand them over. I always used the natural shape of an apple slice or wedge but much thinner but of you were worried, you could take a regular thin apple slice and then cut it in half and then you for sure would have nothing to worry about. They are are great for teething, they keep them happy and they is Very little mess. I LOVE APPLES. Ihave never skinned or cooked a fruit. My advice-leave the skins on. there is sooo much good stuff in the skin and DJ didn't start rejecting the skin until almost a year old. And by reject I mean he eats the fruit right out them. He does this with apples, plums and oranges and tangerines. But he will eat most pear skin. I figure 4 or 5months of eating them is better than nothing. And I'm not skinnng or decrusting anything for him. I mean I don't force him to eat those things but I'm not going to make it easy on him. If he wants out of the skins or crust he has to eat his way out of those parts!

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for the replies. DJ's mom, that makes alot of sense what you said. Thank you. As far as the apples, he really likes them and taked the tiniest bites of just sucks on it. Yes I cut it into quarters and then halve the quarters, keeping the apple shape. I did skin it, but I may try keeping the skin on. He seems to be able to grip it much better than a banana which becomes very slippery in his hands.

When would you introduce yogurt? Should I wait until after he turns one as it is dairy? TIA Also, is it ok to give him peas even though they are small? I guess that is what I was worried about. Him choking on the pea.

Thanks again, this solids adventure is alot of fun, besides the 2 downfalls...1. the new content of his diapers and 2. me worrying over ever peice of food.

Quote Originally Posted by wyattsmama View Post
    When would you introduce yogurt? Should I wait until after he turns one as it is dairy? TIA Also, is it ok to give him peas even though they are small? I guess that is what I was worried about. Him choking on the pea.
    I introduced Yogurt and applesauce early. Right after the 6month point. I then dropped the yogurt when P-t-m pointed out all the sugar in Yobaby. Which still had 3grams less than the yogurt that I eat!! I introduced string cheese (which is skim milk mozzerella) between 8&9months. it's whole milk that you want to avoid until after a year. Dairy products like cheese and yogurt are ok before a year.
    As for peas, They are not big enough to block the air way even if swallowed whole (smaller than a 3rd of bannana I think?) Though by the time he saw them he was a mashing chewing machine! Bean like Pinto I DID cut in half iniitally. I was scared too. But that didn't last. You know if you thnk it would help you to feel OK, they sell these tubes that are the size of a baby's airway. I have always used the size standard of a third of a Bannana. But they sell these tubes that are the size of a baby's airway so you can be sure that anything your giving them is smaller than that. I will find out where to get those this week at group....

Way too lazy for formula

Kristin glad to see you coming around a bit! My dd loves the purees and prefers them over any other bits of food I have given her so far. I think that avacado will be a big hit. Anyway, I don't have a problem with giving them to her. I see the point that Shelly is making but I think why can't she like both eventually? I do. I love fruit and I love the fruit purees that you can drink even more. I give her "baby food" carrots all the time and she loves them and I give her regular carrots too. She prefers one over the other but I keep offering both so she can explore and taste both. So, to sum it up I don't give a second thought to giving her baby food. I also buy organic so I know it is good for her. I let her play in it and feed herself with a spoon when she wants. She is still "leading" and she is enjoying herself and that is good enough for me. Not trying to start a debate, just throwing my two cents in!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Kristin, you can also buy a whole butternut squash, cut it in half, and put it skin side up, insides down on the pan, cook it for about an hour on 350 and then just cut it into chunks. There will be enough for two weeks or more. I freeze some of it. It is so mushy it goes down without chewing but they can still pick it up. This is Mia's favorite food for some reason. My DS loved it too.

Thanks for all the great tips ladies! I always wondered about a good way to cook squash, I will try that. I gave him cheerios yesterday!! He LOVED them! He went crazy grabbing all the cherrios when I put them on his tray and trying to get them in his mouth. Thanks for all the enouragement...it is daunting introducing food.

any one know if the baking instructions for the butterut sq. would be the same for a yellow squash - I accidently bought yellow, not butternut
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.