Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing this right? Questions about baby-led

Default Am I doing this right? Questions about baby-led

Hi everyone. For the past 2 evenings, we've been giving DS a wedge of avocado. (He's just over 6 mos) So far, I *think* it's going well. He took the wedge, crushed it in his hand, smeared a little on the place mat, then brought it to his mouth. He did swallow little bits, but when he bit off an unmanageable chunk, he just spit it out. He keeps going back to his busted up chunks of avocado. Does that mean he's ready?

DH is a little concerned about the threat of choking, but I am reassured by the spitting out and occasional coughing. Is this how it goes for the next few months in order for him to learn the mechanics of eating?

Theresa

Default Re: Am I doing this right? Questions about baby-led

Sounds like it is going exactly right. I hated that she didn't eat even a 1/4 of what we offered for the first 3 months because it seemed like such a waste, but it's leaning. My LO is 9.5 months and is eating everything she doesn't drop accidentally just maybe within the last week or so. Just keep at it offering once a day or so and you'll totally know when they get it. Once they do, they want to eat everything in site. lol. The coughing and spitting out chunks is normal. Gagging too. Have fun. It sounds like you are doing great.

Thanks for the response. I really felt he was ready to start, but I thought that baby-led meant "wait until they're older, like 8-10 months." I'm so glad that he seems interested in this new adventure, and I'm also glad to know that I am offering real, honest-to-goodness food.

Theresa

Quote Originally Posted by tmontagna View Post
    Thanks for the response. I really felt he was ready to start, but I thought that baby-led meant "wait until they're older, like 8-10 months." I'm so glad that he seems interested in this new adventure, and I'm also glad to know that I am offering real, honest-to-goodness food.

Theresa
    What gave you the impression you were supposed to wait past the 6month point??

Way too lazy for formula

I don't know. I figured most people start at 6 months and must've been thinking that "delayed solids" meant much later than 6 months. I do know 2 people who waited until 8 months, but since the approach is called baby-led, maybe that's what their kids wanted. I suppose also that 8-10 months is probably when a lot of kids actually start eating what they're being offered. So as I've been hearing "my baby didn't eat anything until 10 months", I guess I've been misunderstanding that as the time they started solids. Anyhow, it's a pleasurable experience, more fun and just as messy than I had anticipated.

Theresa

I have a question about avocado. It doesn't keep once you've cut it, right? So what do you do with the rest of it, once you've given baby a slice?

Quote Originally Posted by tmontagna View Post
    I don't know. I figured most people start at 6 months and must've been thinking that "delayed solids" meant much later than 6 months. I do know 2 people who waited until 8 months, but since the approach is called baby-led, maybe that's what their kids wanted. I suppose also that 8-10 months is probably when a lot of kids actually start eating what they're being offered. So as I've been hearing "my baby didn't eat anything until 10 months", I guess I've been misunderstanding that as the time they started solids. Anyhow, it's a pleasurable experience, more fun and just as messy than I had anticipated.

Theresa
    Well based on reading the research we started OFFERING around 6month. He started TASTING around 7months and didn't actually start SWALLOWING until around 8&1/2months. SO I think sometimes when people who are using child led say start "eating" they mean actually swallowing. Because there is definitely a curve of time when they are just experimenting with having stuff in their mouths and different textures and aren't actually ready to swallow. And you know when it happens because their diaper content changes! So I think if your child can pick stuff up and actually puts it in his mouth than you guys are ready!!

Zoewmu,
    You leave the pit in the avacado then it keeps in the fridge! HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    And you know when it happens because their diaper content changes!
    Tell me about it! I want to stop giving DS solids!! LOL.

I wanted to ask a question or 2 as well about this. We are doing baby led, I have offered banana, avacodo, sweet potato. He squished the avocado EVERYWHERE it was pretty cute because he had alot of fun. I have also tried giving him a few bites of organic brown rice cereal (to see), my mom pointed out that big people like the texture of smooth foods as well...so I have experimented a little with "baby food"...squash and pees. He seems to like it, but grabs the spoon from me and puts it in his mouth himself ( I am fine with that). Yesterday I cut up apple into long chunks and peeled it. He loved it!! Is that okay?? Is he allowed to have apple? Also, am I ruining the method by offering some puree? And, have I intorduced too many foods? He really likes the squash and its all stuff I got at Whole foods and is organic. Please tell me what you think. Finally, how many times should I offer him food per day? Right now it is once. WHen do you up the anty?...so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by wyattsmama View Post
    Tell me about it! I want to stop giving DS solids!! LOL.

I wanted to ask a question or 2 as well about this. We are doing baby led, I have offered banana, avacodo, sweet potato. He squished the avocado EVERYWHERE it was pretty cute because he had alot of fun. I have also tried giving him a few bites of organic brown rice cereal (to see), my mom pointed out that big people like the texture of smooth foods as well...so I have experimented a little with "baby food"...squash and pees. He seems to like it, but grabs the spoon from me and puts it in his mouth himself ( I am fine with that). Yesterday I cut up apple into long chunks and peeled it. He loved it!! Is that okay?? Is he allowed to have apple? Also, am I ruining the method by offering some puree? And, have I intorduced too many foods? He really likes the squash and its all stuff I got at Whole foods and is organic. Please tell me what you think. Finally, how many times should I offer him food per day? Right now it is once. WHen do you up the anty?...so to speak.
    Apple is fine. The only rule is to only offer one new thing for a few days at a time so if there is a reaction you know whats causing it it. Nothing you've listed isn't ok at this age. Just don't offer two new things on the same day.
    Once a day at this age is perfect. At 7&1/2 months we added the cheerios and other dry snacks. Between 8&9months he let me know he was ready for lunch too. And it became 3meals a day by 10&1/2 months. It's work. I wouldn't do it until your baby lets you know he's ready.
    Kristen,
    the next part is completely personal so take it FWIW. But to ME the idea of the processed foods because we like smooth textures seems...counter productive. I would offer him things that are NATURALLY smooth in texture to quell that. Like yogurt and applesauce. KWIM? '
    Because here's my thought on this. Eventually I will fail.Eventually he willl decide that he likes juice better than plain water. Eventually I will cave an allow my son to eat TV dinners and pizza. Eventually he will discover white bread,white rice and soda pop. Eventually most teenagers with their own cars live on fast food and not much else. But hopefully it won't be in the 1st 3years of his life. Me and my DH had this argument this week. He said "BUT I LIKE THE WAY WHITE BREAD AND WHITE RICE TASTE BETTER!" I said "Yes and eventually he will too. But those things don't offer as much nutritionally as whole wheat toast or rice. So we need to model good behaviors as long as possible." To me that just means as much whole food as possible for as long as possible. Especially while I'm battling internally over the idea of whether or not he can EVER get everything he needs nutritionally from solids.
    So while I'm sure that what you offered him in the way of Organic whole foods baby food was not bad for him... Why not just offer him your squash or peas? Because the texture that they are is the texture they are. Nutritionally I'm sure it's better, but to me it would be like having instant mashed potatoes instead or real ones because you want them not to have lumps. Does that make sense? I hope this helps. I believe very much in the child led way and Have only ever offered things that have smooth texture that really have smooth texture. He hates oatmeal. Yogurt and applesauce he can take or leave.
    I am NOT trying to start a debate. This thread is about baby-led solids. If that isn't how you choose to fed your child fine. But I am speaking from the perspective of someone who has done it and lived it 100%.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    "BUT I LIKE THE WAY WHITE BREAD AND WHITE RICE TASTE BETTER!"
    We actually switched to whole grain foods, and we like it better.
    It was such a shocker... lol

The thing about textures kind of doesn't make much sense to me, but I commend all of you who are doing that for doing what you believe in.

We started DD on solids a little after 6 months. It took her about 2 months to actually swallow stuff. She hated avocados. French bread was the first actual food that she loved. She still loves any kind of bread. She's a little cajun girl. :-)
    Last edited by Toadstool; February 5th, 2007 at 12:40 AM.