Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grrrrr!!!

Question grrrrr!!!

ella's eight months old now, and she's taking some solids. loves her carrots, loves her fruit, but she's still mostly breastfed.
    my mother, my sister, as well as my mother in law and my sister in law *who breastfed her daughter for two months then claimed "she doesn't like breastmilk as much as she likes formula" are all on my case about starting her on more and more solids.
    according to my mom "she's a big kid, she needs to fill up on solids"
    but...i'm always with her!
    she even comes with me to work!
    if she wants to breastfeed on demand she can....
    am i crazy for wanting to extend breastfeeding for a while longer?

Default Re: grrrrr!!!

Of COURSE not! Babies still need to get a majority of their calories from easy to digest milk at that age! I wouldn't even call THAT extended bfing. Extended is like three to four years ok! LOL

I might be mistaken but I don't even think it's considered "extended" until after 1 year. Maybe its older than that, too. But No - you are not crazy!!!!!!!!! you're doing a wonderful to want to extend it as long as the babe wants to. Trust your gut
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Wow!!!! Extended?! You are just starting! And doing a great job might I say! You are so lucky to be able to take lo to work too and BF on demand! Sounds like you lo is eating what solids she wants and that's enough. I started my boys on too much way too early and now they are having difficulty with pooping so don't rush it! I am now having to go back to BM for now and maybe in a wk or so start once a day. I was doing 2x a day and it was too much for them. Go with your gut mom! It's YOUR lo and no one knows her like you!

On one hand you want to do what you know is right for your baby and on the the other hand you have people "on you case" all the time. I would advise you to tell them to mind their own business but I know that its not always easy to do that...
    I think its time to learn how to tell white lies (that of course depends on how close they are to you because if they are at your house all the time that would be impossible).
    Just make them believe shes eating more solids than she actually is. I know its not really nice but it will get them off your back without having to argue with anyone.
    Good for you for holding up in spite of the pressure!!! You are doing both you and your dd a great favor!

Talking Re: grrrrr!!!

seriously, you guys are great!
    i've decided to go and tell them to "get off my case", navit. they don't like that, toooooo bad. i mean, my sis can raise her kids however she wants, and i will raise my daughter how i want. she's not the foremost expert on childcare....especially when she gave me this little piece of advice:
    if they don't go #2 everyday, or at most every other day, give them a suppository...is it just me or is that a little bit excessive????
    i konw i'm doing the right thing for my daughter. i just wish people would be a little bit more supportive.
    one other question....when should i introduce the sippy cup?
    we're considering it right now, but i don't know!

NOW definately! Why not? My boys are six months and I am only experimenting but it is fun watching them...they haven't gotten anything out of it yet cuz it's a spill proof one...lol! Anyway, they are teething and LOVE biting on the rubber spout! You go girl!!!! Sounds like you know a lot more than others do!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ellas_mum View Post
    she's not the foremost expert on childcare....especially when she gave me this little piece of advice:
    if they don't go #2 everyday, or at most every other day, give them a suppository...is it just me or is that a little bit excessive????
    Breast fed babies can go really long periods without poop. Over a week.

I would go for it now with the sippy cup. LO is a year old now and since we waited so long to introduce one he is only starting to figure it out now.

Quote Originally Posted by ellas_mum View Post
    am i crazy for wanting to extend breastfeeding for a while longer?
    If this is true then we all are a bunch of nut cases around here!!!!! but no you are not and I have the smae prblem with my MIL and SIL I jsut ignore them they are stuck iin the stone age....
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones