Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to stop breastfeeding for medical reason. Please Help!!!

Default Need to stop breastfeeding for medical reason. Please Help!!!

Please help me!! My doctor had recommended that i wean my daughter because of the medication I need to be on. Plus It is a little hard for me to do with my other two children. I am heart broken that I have to but it is only for her safety. She will not take formula or any bottle at all. How can I wean her? Any advice would greatlt be appreciated. Thanks!!

Default Re: Need to stop breastfeeding for medical reason. Please Help!!!

Can you tell us what type of medication you'll be taking? Sometimes doctor's give this advice without much basis or merit. We can look the drug up in Hale's for you.

Immetrex for migranes. Darvocet for back pain.

OK --

This information is coming from Medications and Mother's Milk by Dr. Thomas Hale, 2004, 11th Ed.

Imitrex (sumatriptan) is listed as "maternal medication usually compatible with breastfeeding" by the AAP and is shown as a lactation risk category (LRC) L3 (moderately safe). Hale mentions one study using 5 lactating women where the authors of the study suggest that continued breastfeeding following the use of this drug would not pose a significatnt risk to the sucking infant. The reference for this study is:

Wojnar-Horton RE, Hackett LP, Yapp P, Dusci LJ, Paech M, Ilett KF. Distribution and excretion of sumatriptan in human milk. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1996; 41(3):217-221.

The Darvocet is also listed as a "maternal medication usually compatible with breastfeeding" by the AAP and Hale lists it as a LRC L2 (safer). Hale says that the amount of this drug secreted into human milk is extremely low and is generall too low to produce effects in infant. Thus far, no reports of untoward effects in infants have been reported but Hale says to observe infant for sedation.

You may want to take these references to your doctor and ask him to do further research. Many doctor's will advise weaning or "pumping and dumping" for a time during maternal medication use when they haven't even researched the drug beyond the packaging insert. Good luck with your decision!

Thank you. Not only am I being put on mediciation, but also I wantede to start weaning her because I am finding it to hard to contiinue to breastfeed when my other two kids are around. They are very high attention seekers. But, I have been pumping and bottle feeding but I am also using formula. Is there any advice you could give me as far as engorgement.

Thanks

Try to keep in mind that breastfeeding is probably a quicker process than bottlefeeding. Breastmilk is ready to go on a moment's notice and zero preparation is needed. A bottle needs to be prepared and you still have to hold the baby to feed her the bottle, right? Then there's the washing that must be done....So, something to think about You mentioned concern for your baby's safety. I'm wondering if you are aware of the risks surrounding artificial milk? Here is some information for you so that you can make an informed decision --

What should I know about infant formula? (not from an approved LLL source)

Risks of Not Breastfeeding and Strategies to Promote Exclusive Breastfeeding for the First Six Months

BREASTFEEDING REMAINS BEST CHOICE IN A POLLUTED WORLD

How old are your other children? Sometimes we can manage nursing our babies easier if we plan ahead for our other children. Perhaps making up snack baggies for the older children that can only be eaten when baby nurses would help? (I realize that's a lot of snacks but it's only temporary, right?) My older children (who were 2 and 4 at the time my 3rd baby was born) used to "help" me nurse the baby. They'd each sit on either side of me and help (hold baby's head or keep a blanket on her). And sometimes I simply allowed the older boys to watch cartoons while I nursed, lol. They were more than happy to oblige, lol. You may also want to try learning how to nurse in a sling so that you can still be mobile and attend to your other children. As your nursling gets older, nursing really does become less time consuming.

Weaning should happen slowly so that both mom and baby are comfortable during the process. Here is some information on weaning should you ultimately decide to go this route -- How Do I Wean My Baby?

HTH!

Post Re: Need to stop breastfeeding for medical reason. Please Help!!!

I guess I am just so confused. I want to continue breastfeeding, BUT, there is just so much that I need to get done and the dad basically is not used to doing any of it so I all eventually still falls on me. And when I return to work is the biggest problem, I dread pumping because it takes solong and like I mentioned I really don't have that much time on my hands anymore. What can I do to keep breastfeeding and get a better experinence in pumping? I love my baby and I want what is best for her which is breast.

Take a look around these boards -- if you don't find a solution you'll certainly find commisery, empathy and support! Many mom's feel overwhelmed when they've got a small baby. Add to that siblings and it can really be stressful. I'd suggest taking it slowly and one day at a time. You haven't returned to work yet, right? Worry about the whole pumping issue when you return to work. You never know, it could be several months before you return to work. You may want to invest in a different pump so that pumping doesn't take very long.

Check out this thread -- I loved the suggestions made for tired, stressed and overwhelmed mom's -- http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=1540 (you even posted in it!)

Try to keep things in perspective too -- even if you nurse for the minimum recommended time (12 months), that's still only a fraction of your life and baby's life! When I'm feeling overwhelmed, I try to remind myself that when I'm on my deathbed I won't care whether I kept a clean house or not but I will care if I didn't give my children my all most of the time

It's possible too that your baby's daddy doesn't realize how overwhelmed you are and how much continued breastfeeding means to you. Perhaps you could talk to him about how you are feeling and how you need him to pull his weight around the house? Perhaps even more than his own weight?

Try some of the suggestions I mentioned above with regards to entertaining your older children (who, btw are probably old enough to grasp the concept of needing to wait 5 minutes until you are done doing this or that). Put the baby in a sling, nurse her if she wants it, and set your kitchen timer for 15 minutes. Do a bit of housework in that 15 minutes. If your baby and children are still content after the timer goes off, keep going. But don't beat yourself up if the laundry starts to pile up. It happens!

HTH! Hang in there -- you can get through this!

maybe a mommas helper is just what you need. Do you know any teenagers or younger that could come over 2 or 3 times a week and play with the older kids?
    Just for maybe a few hours after school. That way you could take a break, or do some chores or both.
    I recomend flylady also her rotines saved my marriage and that is no joke.
    another thing I do is once a month cooking. thats helped with the whats for dinner problem.
    I have also found that my hubby is more willing to help when I am nice about it and not nagging. When my dd was little he would hold her when I put my older ones to bed. That sure did help alot. He didn't like It and he tried to say that she was unhappy but I prasied him and thanked him alot! Try and talk to your hubby again!

Thanks. He fed Anna(dd) for the first time today. He enjoyed it and he has finally be helping a little more. Holding her while I clean and get clothes done.