Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too late?

Default Too late?

Hi all,

My DS is 4 weeks now and i have been exclusively pumping since birth. Is it too late to have him feed from the breast? I tried a couple of time and he does latch on (or so i think) and suck. I can hear him swallow so i think he is getting the milk. However, he only last no more than 5 min on one breast then he get fussy (due to slowness of milk?) In addition, my DS sleep ALOT so i don't know when to feed him. By the time he is awake, he is too hungry to have patient for the breast. Help!

Default Re: Too late?

It Is Not Too Late!! My LO is 4 months old tomorrow and when she was born she nursed once right away and then fell asleep every time she got near my breast. I pumped and we fed her with an oral syringe and a cup for the first 2 weeks but she was still below birth weight at 2 weeks so her Pedi-doc told us we had to start using a bottle. I worried about nipple confusion but the #1 rule is "Feed the Baby." So, she started on a bottle at 2 weeks and I kept trying her at the breast before every feeding. Finally at 3 weeks she took the breast!! It was tough getting her to latch correctly but now she is a pro at it. It was very hard to keep trying at every feeding because I felt rejected by her every time she refused to nurse. Luckily, I am very stubborn and stuck with it because it was worth it!!
    Good Luck!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Try waking lo up to BF. Is he waking up hungry at least every 2-3 hrs? If not, I would wake him before he wakes himself and is too hungry. It's ok if he only wants to nurse for 5 minutes, before you know it he will be staying on longer but remember, babies get the most important from BFing in the first 5-10 minutes anyway! Just try and BF more often...don't look so much at how long. My twins were the same way. Especially one, he would wake up soo hungry and he also happened to be the one who didn't latch as good as the other but I made him because I didn't bottle feed often in the beginning, only to give him his med once a day. Your lo is still so new, he will be eating more very soon!

Thanks everyone for their support. I will keep trying! Right now trying to battle the mastitis and stress first.

it's not too late at all! don't be discouraged by how brief your lo is nursing. my lo never nursed for more than 5-7 minutes. she is now just about 4 months old and that has never changed. i think that some babies are more effective suckers than others.

If you aren't already, you might try having him nap where you can keep an eye on him and try to get him to the breast when he starts to stir, rather than when he is fully awake. Even if he's only at the breast for 5 minutes, that's more than none, right? Right now (especially while you're dealing with the mastitis and stress), I would try to put him to the breast as much as you can without either of you getting stressed, then you can maybe try some different ideas when you feel up to it. Good luck. BFing is SO worth the hard work involved!