Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exclusive Pumper: Please Help!

Default Exclusive Pumper: Please Help!

Hi all,

I was wondering how do exclusively pump mothers do it??? My DS is only 4 weeks old and from the beginning, due to latching problem, i thought i can do the exclusive pumping and feeding him through bottle. However, now I am on the brink of going crazy here. I pump every 2 hours or so now ( due to mastitis) for 30 min and then feed him for 30 min then clean up for another 15 min or so.. Next thing i know, it's time to pump again. I can't get any sleep at all, the most is 1 hr (if hubby feeds the baby). Now i am all stressed over my mastitis to the point that i am breaking down, crying everyday. Please help!!

Default Re: Exclusive Pumper: Please Help!

Hi javaagirl Hugs to you
    I am not sure how much help I can be but I just wanted to tell you that you are doing a great job providing your LO with the best nutrition
    I know EPing is very very tiring and it seems the only thing you are doing is pumping and feeding. May I ask what pump you are using? In another post someone suggested putting the horns in the fridge instead of washing them after each pumping and wash them only once a day. As for the bottles - soak them in a bowl hot water instead of soap washing and rinsing them. This will give several minutes after each pumping/feeding.
    About the mastitis - is there any way you can put your LO to the breast at all? Also, you can put warm/hot compresses and soak your breasts in a bowl of hot water. Don't forget to drink lots of water as well.
    Rest as much as you can (yeah right, I know...) but really, that's what you need most. Take your LO and your pump with you to bed, set up a station with water, drinks, and food, baby bottles as well, and get up only when really necessary. And forget about anything else for the next few day while the mastitis gets better.
    Hang in there mama! Hugs!!
    Last edited by borislava; January 27th, 2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling... oh well...

Hi there,

Thanks for the support! The pump i am using is the Medela In Style Advanced and it pump well for me. As for the mastitis, i am not too familar with it and is stressing out about. Not sure when it is going to get better (on antibotic now) and stressing about recurring. I had soo many clogged ducts (done everything to unclog them: warm compressor, hot bath, massage, LOT of water)this past week that i am just scare of it coming back over and over again. I am hoping to breastfeed to the 6 month mark(Ouch just thinking about it). All in all, i just can't stop stressing out. Everyone said it will get better in time.. but time seem to be in a standstill right now for me..

I can totally relate to what you're going through. My LO is 8 wks and we've been doing the same thing as you. While it's still hard at this point sometimes, it is getting easier, so hang in there! Eventually your LO will start sleeping longer and you'll have more time to rest yourself! Also, take up any and all offers you have from people to take baby so you can rest. Right now with the mastitis, this isn't something you want to do, but once it's taken care of, you might try gradually increasing the time between pumping sessions for a reprieve. I slowly did the same and now pump about every 4 hours and get the same daily total pumping that I did before when I was trying to pump every hour or two. But make sure you wait until the mastitis clears up! You might also try what I've been doing - we still have problems with latch but I find I can usually nurse her 2-3 times a day before it becomes too painful, which saves time in the afternoons when my LO is fussiest and won't be set down so I can pump & clean up the mess. Also, if your hubby isn't as inclined to take the LO to give you a break, maybe he wouldn't mind washing all the pump misc. for you instead? Hang in there and let me know how it goes! Hopefully this helps!

i've been there. I have been EP for 5 1/2 months, something that made a huge change in my time was i got extra materials. what i mean is now i have 4 sets of pump stuff (horns, etc.) and lots of bottles (i think i have 12) this way i only clean them after i used the last set and i don't have to clean the bottles right away. once i did this and didn't feel i had to clean my pump stuff and bottles after every session it really did help. that cuts 15 minutes out of your time and i know for me 15 minutes is a lot when it come to sleep. when your supply starts to level out you might be able to extend the amount of time between pumping session. i did between 2 and 3 hours at first (basically i pumped right after LO ate) around 2 months i was at this point that you were at. i felt i never spent any quality time with little one and i was a slave to the pump. i decided to try to extend the time between pump sessions and i tried 4 hours and now LO is 6 months and i pump about every 6 hours and only clean stuff once maybe twice a day. i didn't have any problems with mastitis though, i have had a reoccurant clogged duct, but that is no where near as bad as mastitis. i've read that mastitis happens the most in the beginning when your body is figuring out how much milk it needs and once it figures it out it starts to regulate and it doesn't happen as much. when that happens it will be a lot easier for you. good luck, you are doing a great job.

I takes a very dedicated person to EP. It requires a lot of self-lessness. Congrats on making it this far. You are giving your LO a wonderful gift! I struggled with low supply due to the baby not latching well. I also had several plugged ducts almost like mastitis. Hang in there, it will get better. Watch for the signs/symptoms of plugged ducts and treat that before mastitis develops. That has worked for me.

As the pp said, refrig your pump parts between pumpings and stock up on bottles. I have enough bottles for about 2 days worth of feedings (about 15 botttles). This cuts down on washing!

Also if ds had a good feed in the middle of the night (when he ate best), I wouldn't pump. I know you are stressed right now and it is difficult to relax but that will help you immensely. If you have friends/family who want to help, have them cook dinner, clean the house, etc. That way you can spend bonding time with LO. Lots of skin-to-skin contact will help even if it isn't nursing. I find that if I spend alot of time cuddling with DS before pumping, I pump more.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to let you know what has worked for me. I have been EP for 5.5 months now and plan to for at least a year! Right now I pump every 3 hours while awake and every 4 hours at night. You can PM me if you have any questions. Hang in there!

I am EP as well, started at 4 weeks due to OALD, etc. It was really tough...anyway DS is 14 weeks and I am still pumping. It does drive me crazy, every week I say lets get to the next week. My new goal is to make it to 6 months. I went out and got 2 sets of horns, and more bottles as well. It made a huge difference. Now my DS is up only one time at night (3AM) so I pump then which by then is a 6-7 hr stretch. I was however doing every 3 at night and every 2 during the day when he was really little. I am thinking about going to every 4 hrs now since I saw the PP with no change in amount. Good luck, hang in there...it does get easier.

Have you thought about the buying a double pump. I use Medela's double since my baby was 6 months and saved me!!!! I had time enough. First i was pumping every time after nursing. My baby had serius latching problems but i insisted haveing her on my breast. It took us 2 months. Good luck. You are doing the best!!!

Yes, i do have the Medela Pump in Style Advanced and right now i am pumping every 2 hr due to mastitis. However, i am thinking of moving it to every 3 hr or so because i heard that the more you pump, the more milk you are going to get. I think i am already oversupply because once i am done pumping (no more milking coming out ~ 20 mins), my breast started to feel full again in 1 hr. But i will definitely try breastfeeding once i get over this iinfection. Thanks for the support!!

My LO never did latch on.. I pretty much gave up on trying to have him latch on to the breast. It just made me stressed and sad. I pump with the Medela PIS. My LO is 5 weeks old and so far so good. There are some days I get off track and worry. I usually pump before bed around 11 or 12 then baby wakes up at 3 am-ish I pump after he eats THen agian at 7 am, 10 am, 1pm, exct I try to do it ever three hours. Tho some times I get busy and cant.

I have to say that the 3 am feeding and pump session is the worst! I also got extra horns and bottles so I didnt have to wash them right away. I fill a bowl up with hot water ( to warm the babys milk) then when Im done pumping I dump my bottles and horns in to the bowl.

Its hard and I feel so upset somedays Esp when my DH isnt really being helpful. Its hard but youve done a great job so far.