Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 12 day old baby, having trouble getting him to latch

Default 12 day old baby, having trouble getting him to latch

We have had this problem from the start in the hospital. The LC wasn't much help...My son was 12lbs 1 oz at birth on the 2nd day we had to supplement him with 15CC of Formula by finger feeding him. He is now on the breast as much as possible and we supplement him with formula when my breast insn't enough. It is so frustrating. I want him only on breast milk. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can ensure he is latched on right and also what can I do to increase my milk. I am currently taking Fuengreek and drinking mother's milk tea. Also he always seems to fall asleep at the breast and rarely wakes up to eat except at night.

Thank you,
    Jennifer

Default Re: 12 day old baby, having trouble getting him to latch

Tell us why you think you aren't producing enough milk? When you say you're putting him on the breast often, do you mean every two hours? Are you pumping after bb has finished on the breast? How many wet and poopy diapers are you getting?
    You may actually be producing enough, small babies tend to have a really strong rooting reflex, and even after nursing (and being full) will sometimes root around if something touches their cheek. (such as their own fist ) I wpould suggest you ease off the formula slowly and replace it with pumped breast milk, then ease off that too. For every bottle you feed your breast is missing the feedback that more milk is needed. Just remember to do it slowly and watch your babies output. Since there is no real good way to measure whats coming out of your breast at home, make sure you are geting 5-6 wet disposable diapers and 2-3 poops in a twenty four hour period. hth.
    Oh, by the way babies are naturally nocturnal, so the eating at night is to be expected, so is the falling asleep when they are little. If you can, try and encorage awake time during the day. Took me about 2 1/2 weeks to do that! As for the waking your lo up; try toe tickling, baths, changing diaper, rubbing head vigoriously (but not hard).
    Last edited by carpentergirl; January 28th, 2007 at 09:55 PM.

I don't think he is getting enough milk from me beacauise when I pump in between breastfeedings I am only getting a little over an ounce from both breasts combined. After a breastfeeding session he roots around and cries like he is hungry still. Sucking on his hands and pecking his head like he is looking for my breast. I feed him by breast every 2-21/2 hours.

Thanks for the input on night time. I did not know that it was normal for them to sleep more during the day than at night.

Hi there!
    Congratulations on your new baby. 12 pounds! Wow!

Just wanted to second what Carpentergirl posted. I would suggest feeding your baby by his cues, rather than by a schedule, and watch his diaper output. http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

What you pump is not usually a good indicator of how much milk you are making. Your body will let down better for a baby than for a machine

I also wanted to add that this is a common time for many babies to have growth spurts. Some babies want to eat almost constantly during a growth spurt. Although it can be tiring for mom, the best thing to do is just to go with it for a few days and let him nurse as much as he wants to. This will help your body keep up with his changing needs. The very best thing you can do to increase your milk supply is keep removing milk from the breasts, so this means baby just needs to nurse nurse nurse!

If you're worried about his latch, I'd strongly suggest you get some in-person help from your local LLL (see the link in my signature) or an IBCLC. In the meantime, here are a few links that may help you latch-wise:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/positioning.html
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

The second link has several videos of mothers latching their babies, and many mothers here have found it helpful.

Hang in there mama! He's a big boy, but you can make enough to feed him. Check out your local LLL, too. You may find a good support group and talk to other mothers who have experienced the same things!

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!