Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help - Please

Default Help - Please

When my beautiful daughter was born I had no breast feeding support. We are older and have no friends with babies. Parents are elderly or dead. I was worried about lack of a supply, dd was screaming for hours, and we supplemented. One month into her life, she won't take my breast. I pump an ounce or 2 (10 tries) during the day. I have gone to a lactation consultant (first week of dd's life) who told me to pump and bottle feed sinca dd was not getting anything from me. Now I am discouraged and cry each time my precious baby refuses my breast and cries. I have seen the advice to stay in bed a weekend but I can't due to elder care issues. Is it hopeless?

Default Re: Help - Please

No, it's not hopeless. I am sorry you are feeling so badly, it can be very discouraging in the beginning. Keep reading through the boards and you will see so many women come out the other side of struggles, it really is inspiring. Have you tried a sling? Maybe wearing your baby would give you the chance to try and nurse her more often and still keep up with your other responsibilities? I think the trick is to let her keep trying and to try when she is not hungry sometimes so she doesn't get so wound up. I hope someone with similar experiences cxan shed some more light for you.
    Keep in mind that what you can pump is not necessarily a good representation of what you can make. Baby is far more effivcient than teh pump will ever be! If you can pump an ounce or two, you're making milk, still, so keep trying. Sounds like it is important to you.
    However things turn out it sounds like you are doing everything you can for your sweet girl! That's al that can be expected!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Default Re: Help - Please

Thank you. The encouragement helps, and I'll try a sling.