Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grunting and groaning after feeding???

Default Grunting and groaning after feeding???

Hi. I have a 1 mo daughter who consistantly grunts, groans, and squirms after many of her feedings (and she is usually asleep while doing the above). She eats, burps, and sleeps well, but the grunting etc. is driving both my husband and me crazy! Is this gas or is she a noisy sleeper? Any suggestions? I've tried gripe water (didn't work) and infant Mylicon (works sometimes, but she usually ends up grunting after about 15 minutes). I'd really like to be able to comfort her and get some sleep!
    TIA

Default Re: Grunting and groaning after feeding???

Oof, that does sound hard to sleep through!

If she's sleeping through it, whatever it is, it can't feel all that bad. I suspect she'll outgrow it in time. I'm not sure what to suggest about your own sleep, as there are real safety and health benefits to keeping your baby in the same room while sleeping. Perhaps you and your husband could take turns sleeping somewhere quieter, so that one of you is always with her?

--Rebecca

My DD often does this as well. Usually I find there to be one of two culprits:

1. I nurse her to sleep and she will lose or let go of the nipple and then decide she wants it back but, half asleep, can't find it and grunts and groans until I help her get it back.

2. Gas. Sometimes burping her helps, other times it just has to work its way through.

Dunno if either of these apply to you. When mine can sleep through it, it usually doesn't last too long. When it keeps her in a half-sleep or wakes her, I try burping, check the diaper, nurse her, etc.

PS - don't ask me why, but sometimes just switching her from one breast to the other is enough to stop all the grunting. Go figure.

Hope you and DH get some sleep soon!

Katherine

I totally feel your pain! My 4 week old daughter does the exact same thing and it is so awful to feel so helpless not knowing what to do for them.

I went off dairy, started giving her gripe water and began her on cocyntal and one of the above is really helping. she doesn't grunt nearly half as much. i bicycle her legs before changing her and press down gently on her belly and that seems to relieve some gas. is your baby's belly hard? i have noticed that when elaina's belly is hard, thats when she is the most uncomforatble and doing the above mentioned exercises seem to help. her belly is usually much softer after letting some gas out or pooping.

i have spoken to alot of people about this and most people agree that it is very common and chalk it up to their immature digestive systems. as their systems develop, their gas and discomfort will decrease, meaning more sleep for babies, mommies and daddies!

GOOD LUCK! it WILL get better!

Thanks to everyone who replied! I took her for her one month check up today and the pedi said it was her immature digestive system. The pedi also said it isn't uncommon for it to happen at the same time every day...lucky us, it's after the 3 am feeding! However, I have very little to complain about as she is an excellent baby. She feeds every 3-4 hours already and gained nearly 2 lbs in 3 weeks. So, for now if she grunts at least I know there's nothing seriously wrong. Oh, also the doctor said nothing will really help except time and occassionally infant mylicon.

Maybe she is just a noisy sleeper. Some babies especially infants can be very loud sleepers. If she does not seem to be in pain than she is probably OK! Even though it is hard to sleep through it sounds sweet...

my daughter did the same thing after nursing at night and not being able to sleep through it. she was really loud! but...nothing at all was wrong and she doesn't do it now. i don't even remember at what point she stopped. i guess i just grew used to it, and she grew out of it.

she would also grunt as she was drifting off to sleep.

My daughter is now 9 weeks old and she did it only during the night when we were trying to sleep too. She has mostly grown out of it but I know it was hard to sleep through!
    My pedi also said it was her immature digestive system - she was 4 weeks early.
    I still bicycle her legs after each night feed and that really seems to help. Also if she grunts for a long time - I pick her up and try to burp her again. Usually she let out another large one and the grunting stops.
    Good luck - it does get better!

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy
    The pedi also said it isn't uncommon for it to happen at the same time every day...lucky us, it's after the 3 am feeding!
    Isn't that the way? My son would wake up screaming at 3 am from painful gas. I cut out dairy and started giving him Ovol at his last feeding before bed, and then again at the middle of the night feeding and it seems to work. He still grunts and lets out little farts, but they certainly aren't hurting him anymore.

Best of luck!!

My 5 week old does the exact same thing and one thing that has helped a lot is having her lay on her belly on my chest. I can't wait for her to be able to roll over because I know she will end up on her belly and will have a better sleep.
    During the day, she grunts a lot, but not as bad as at night. We also have her sleep in her car seat or link a doos chair and the angle seems to help with the gas.
    I feel bad too, but she doesn't cry with it, so she can't be bothered too much.