Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: gets up every time he's put down

Default gets up every time he's put down

My baby is 4 weeks now and EVERY time I put him down when he falls asleep he instantly wakes up screaming and crying. I clearly can't hold him 24 hrs a day. Any advice or hope? I think his moro reflex wakes him up. He flails so much when I put him down. Last night for ex, I put him down 4 times with the same effect till finally my husband had to take him and he fell asleep on his chest and stayed there for 3 hrs on the sofa. I don't want that either.

Default Re: gets up every time he's put down

Have you considered wearing him?

when I have to put my son down, I hold him close to my chest until I am going to put him down...say on his blanket on the floor...it almost looks like I am going to lay on him, but then from there I just gently set him on the blanket and then cover him up. The jerking reflex isn't there then. HTH.

Yep. Get a wrap or a sling. Honestly high need babies, you need to either wear them or you spend your life trapped on the couch holding them all day or spending all your time tending to a child who is now extra cranky because they haven't had enough sleep. It's easier to just wear them to get your stuff done. Remember, it's NOT YOU or anything you have done! SOme babies are just extra sensitive. Usually it gets better after the 3month mark. If you haven't already read it I highly recommend "The happiest baby on the block" You can get one from amazon.com for under $10 used and it TOTALLY WORTH IT! GOOD LUCK! (I recommend the MOBY WRAP)

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by fairetails View Post
    My baby is 4 weeks now and EVERY time I put him down when he falls asleep he instantly wakes up screaming and crying. I clearly can't hold him 24 hrs a day. Any advice or hope? I think his moro reflex wakes him up. He flails so much when I put him down. Last night for ex, I put him down 4 times with the same effect till finally my husband had to take him and he fell asleep on his chest and stayed there for 3 hrs on the sofa. I don't want that either.
    Swaddle him so his arms don't jerk out in the startle refex. Thats whats waking him right?

I agree with the PP. Try swaddling him.

DS was held 24/7 for probably the first ~6wks. He would not sleep anywhere but on top of me or DH. I know it's exhausting. It will get better.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

For naps, we usually put our son in his bouncy seat when he was little. It kept him a little bit upright and it formed around him (and the vibrate function was great when he stirred a bit, but wasn't done napping.)

true true, the vibration setting was like magic !

My ds was doing this too and it was driving me nuts. I'm all for baby wearing and love holding him for long periods of time but every mama needs a break! Finally I decided to give him a binky and he sleeps great.

My dd was the same way but even with the binky she still woke up. Even if I rocked her for an hour and waited for her to be deeply asleep like the experts suggest, she would notice as soon as I put her down. what I did with her was lower the amount of time I rocked her every night. So 60 minutes one night, than 55 minutes and so on until we were down to 5 minutes. then i would put her down and lay next to her, rubbing her back and singing/talking to her. if she fussed or cried longer than a minute we would get up and rock a few more minutes and try again. Eventually I got to the point where she didnt need to be rocked to get sleepy and I could just put her in the bassinet when she was sleepy and sing to her and she wouldnt fuss at all.

Quote Originally Posted by luke's mom View Post
    I agree with the PP. Try swaddling him.
    I was going to suggest that too. One of my boys doesn't like to be put to sleep while still patially awake, he's 6 months now, so I just tried something new with him. I wrapped him tight in a blanket (he's too big for swaddling ) and he stayed sleeping. Swaddling works wonders!