Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby was taking a bottle with breastmilk, but won't anymore

Cool Baby was taking a bottle with breastmilk, but won't anymore

I wasn't sure which forum to post this so I thought I would try this one and the pumping one. I have a 13 week old and she is receiving breastmilk exclusively. I went back to work at 5 weeks and we had no problem going from breast to bottle and back again until about 3 weeks ago. She was eating 2 bottles with 2.5-3.0 oz and I was breastfeeding her in between, on my lunch break. She started refusing the occasional bottle, and now she will only eat 0.5-1 oz from the bottle. She screams at my husband when he tries to get the bottle nipple anywhere near her mouth. Sometimes I can get home to feed her if she won't finish her bottle and she always latches right on and eats. I really want to continue the situation we have, but I can't keep running home from work to breastfeed when she won't finish her bottle and I am afraid that the only solution is to bottle feed exclusively, but that's not what I want. She eats every 2 hours, night and day. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also...she was colicky for about 6 weeks then got better and now seems to be crying alot again. I eliminated dairy and caffeine and that seemed to work, then added them back in and she was fine with it for about 2 weeks--could it be that these take that long to have an effect on her?

Default Re: Baby was taking a bottle with breastmilk, but won't anymore

I would aliminate alergy foods till your dd is at least a yr.
    Babies sometimes perfer the tap than the glass. Maybe your dh can drive to your work so that you can bf dd. That way work won't miss you. All businesses sould support your choice to bf.

I had a similar problem, she was taking the bottle fine....then one day rejected it. Dh switched to a Playtex Nurser System bottle and she latched on! You could give that a try.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

We had been using the avent bottles with #1 nipples and tried the #2 nipples, but she hated those even more. Although work is extremely supportive of BF, its not all that practical to have hubby bring her to work so that I can feed her and if I can find another solution, I would really prefer that. She has just been the most difficult little thing when it comes to eating ever, but she's just so darn cute! And I guess if we have to resort to that, we will, but if anyone has any other suggestions, please help! And we will definitely try some other bottles!

We tried several different nipples and flow rates the one my son prefered is the ones that came with the medela pump.

Another mom who uses the same DCP as me was having the same problem. She started using these bottles she got from One Step Ahead (a catelog), it is like a giant nipple, the whole bottle is soft (except a flat bottom) and shaped like a breast, she said they were kind of expensive but worth it. I think they have a web site, you might want to google it and give it a try.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)