Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When did your LO's eat 3 meals a day?

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default When did your LO's eat 3 meals a day?

Ellie is only a couple of weeks from being a year old, but she's only eating two meals a day (lunch and dinner). Sometimes we skip one of those meals and she doesn't even seem to notice. She still nurses a lot, up to ten times a day. I'm thinking about going to three meals a day, but she doesn't really seem to need it yet. Is it important at her age to feed her more often?

Default Re: When did your LO's eat 3 meals a day?

we are at 9.5 months and i usually offer 3 meals....by offer i mean at breakfast and lunch i try to put him in his highchair....if he fusses about going in it, then he gets no food.... lately ive also been putting him in his chair for a 'snack' when the rest of the family is having one.....like last sunday we had chips and guacamole so he got some avacado pieces... he had a rough night last night with gas and crying so i didnt even offer breakfast to let his tummy settle.....hes sound asleep now so i probly wont do lunch either....everyday is different
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

He didn't start eating breastfast until very recently ... so, 18 months. All babies are different. We never really pushed any meals and he still doesn't really eat much at any of them.

We didn't start (Work up to) 3meals a day until about 10 months. IF your doing child led I wouldn't worry. You are supposed to be letting the child lead. Do you eat breakfast? If so if she's not acting interested, don't worry. IF you don't normally eat breakfast then you might want to try...because she may not know what she is missing! I alway eat a bowl of cereal in the morning. When he started acting like he cared, I started putting Dry cereal/cheerios and corn chex in a tea cup and letting him sit on the floor in front of me eating out of it. Until until this month that was break fast. Now at 13months...he seems to need more. SO we still do the dry cereal but we do fresh fruit as well. So now it's a high chair meal.

Way too lazy for formula

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Until last week, Ellie would wake up around 6 or 7, and we'd cosleep and she's nurse on and off til 10 or 11 am. But she seems to be dropping those last couple of hours of sleep, so she'd actually be up in time for us to eat breakfast! I usually just grab a piece of toast and eat it while she's playing. It's funny DJ eats dry cereal and fruit; that's what Ellie eats for at least one meal each day! I'd like to come up with something different for breakfast. Maybe yogurt and granola or something.

The really sad thing is I'm lazy and don't want to go to three meals a day! That's just more work and clean-up for me. That's the reason I don't understand why some people push solids so much. I'd rather EBF as long as possible.

I'm glad you started this post. I have been trying not to worry about the whole solids thing, but I still wondered about other mom's experiences with implementing more meals. I'm trying to just follow his cues. But he's so interested, that I think he really could eat three meals, and some snacks, a day. He still nurses as frequently, but I still find myself worried that he won't nurse as much if I really let him have at more solids. I totally know what you mean about not wanting to clean up or prepare. It is much easier in some aspects with child-led, but it is messier a lot of the time! Breastfeeding is just so much easier! I like what Shelly says in her sig - too lazy for formula!

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

Quote Originally Posted by elliesmom View Post
    The really sad thing is I'm lazy and don't want to go to three meals a day! That's just more work and clean-up for me. That's the reason I don't understand why some people push solids so much. I'd rather EBF as long as possible.
    Not as sad as me NEVER having the energy to clean the highchair disaster up 3x aday and DJ seeming to know this and throwing stuff over the side JUST so he can pick it up and eat it later!
    I am with you on the lazy front and the late riser baby front. As mine is just now beginning to rise in the 9:00 hour...but I must tell you it helps with routine and I can't help but feel like if we're off to a morning in the park or group or a playdate that is helps him to have SOMETHING in his stomach. That's why we started with the dry cereal. But FWIW apple slices aren't that messy. You don't even really have to put him in the chair for those. That and dry cereal seem like way less work than granola and yogurt! Also whole wheat toast sliced into stick sizes pieces with some butter is always a easy hit! (Fresh or off the floor! )

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Not as sad as me NEVER having the energy to clean the highchair disaster up 3x aday and DJ seeming to know this and throwing stuff over the side JUST so he can pick it up and eat it later!
    I am with you on the lazy front and the late riser baby front. As mine is just now beginning to rise in the 9:00 hour...but I must tell you it helps with routine and I can't help but feel like if we're off to a morning in the park or group or a playdate that is helps him to have SOMETHING in his stomach. That's why we started with the dry cereal. But FWIW apple slices aren't that messy. You don't even really have to put him in the chair for those. That and dry cereal seem like way less work than granola and yogurt! Also whole wheat toast sliced into stick sizes pieces with some butter is always a easy hit! (Fresh or off the floor! )
    Haha! I totally leave the o's that drop on the floor and Noah chows down on them throughout the day (and week ). DH the other day was like, "Uh, he's eating the o's that even the dog wouldn't touch." WHATEVER!

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

We just started offering 2 or 3 meals a day. Sometimes, if she wakes up late, I don't offer breakfast. The only actual meal I am offering is dinner. I try to give 2 or 3 choices. Like today for breakfast I made her blueberry yogurt but she didn't want it, so I didn't offer anything else. For lunch she had squash and a few O's and for dinner???? We aren't there yet.

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

dd has been eating 3 meals a day for about 2 months... and she's 10 months old now... by 3 "meals" i mean that at breakfast she gets about an inch of banana cut up into pieces and a handful of O's... this keeps her busy while I pack lunches and make breakfast for the older kids...

lunch is 2 T of yogurt and some apple pieces or maybe 1/4 piece of toast and some teeny cubes of cheese and some pear pieces... something like that... so she can be eating while I'm eating lunch...

dinner is the "big" meal and there she'll have 2 or 3 or 4 different things to eat... about a T each of a diced steamed veggie and fresh cubed fruit... maybe some cereal or rice... or yogurt if she didn't have it for lunch...

she also still nurses 7-8 times a day, for 5-10 minutes each session

i have no idea if this is too much or too little food... she seems happy to eat it... but then again, she's still a teeny bitty thing... not even 17 pounds yet...