Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One dirty diaper or 2?

Default One dirty diaper or 2?

My 1-month-old lo had a large BM one breast throught this morning's 3 a.m. feeding. I changed her, then continued with the other breast. After that breast (about 15 min. later) she had another dirty diaper, this time about the size of a quarter or half dollar. Can I count this as two dirty diapers for the day, or does this just count as one dirty diaper since they both occured close together?

Default Re: One dirty diaper or 2?

Quote Originally Posted by maymay View Post
    My 1-month-old lo had a large BM one breast throught this morning's 3 a.m. feeding. I changed her, then continued with the other breast. After that breast (about 15 min. later) she had another dirty diaper, this time about the size of a quarter or half dollar. Can I count this as two dirty diapers for the day, or does this just count as one dirty diaper since they both occured close together?
    Is there a reason you are keeping such close count? 2-3 is normal during a 24 hour period.

Default Re: One dirty diaper or 2?

Hmm, good question ... I know you've been concerned about your daughter's intake and weight gain, so it is important to keep track of the diaper output.

Sometimes the baby poops, and the parent changes the diaper just a little too fast and gets the "encore performance" right on the changing table ...

But if your daughter had two good-sized poops 15 minutes apart ... you can probably count it as two dirty diapers.

I want to add that many bowel movements are triggered by swallowing. So I think it's an excellent sign that your daughter pooped twice during a feeding -- this suggests that she had good milk intake at each breast ... does that make sense?

How are you guys doing in general? We want to see the big picture too, not get too lost in the details. How's the nipple soreness these days? Glad to see you are hanging in there! WTG Momma!

Smile Re: One dirty diaper or 2?

Wow. Thanks for remembering my previous posts. Life around our house is getting much more enjoyable. Nipple soreness persists, but mostly just at latch on. Sometimes, one of my nipples feels like it is burning during feeding and after, but mostly it is OK. My LO, as of Friday, was up to 7 lbs. 1 oz after three weeks of losing weight then slowly gaining from a birthweight of 6 lbs. 13 oz. Our baby doc has us still giving formula after every other or every third feeding, as much as she wants to eat, which is usually between 1-2 oz. Also, my midwife put me on Reglan to see if it will up my milk supply. We'll see. Otherwise, my kiddo seems strong and aware and I'm feeling much more at ease with all this breastfeeding and baby stuff. Thanks again for all the feedback. I plan on attending the next LLL meeting here for the socialization and to get some help with some new holds.
    Cheers,
    Maggie