Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need some advice...

Default I need some advice...

My DD turned 6 months last Tuesday and my husband and I would like to start her on solids. The pediatrician said to start with rice cereal, next oatmeal and then veggies. I've been doing some reading/research and am finding you don't have to start with rice cereal. You can start with mashed up banana, avocado or sweet potato. I want to make my own baby food and starting with fresh rather than processed sounds much better to me. I just wanted to see how many of you started with the something other than the rice cereal. What did you tell your pediatricians? Also, at what age did you start b/c I see there is no rush just b/c my baby is 6 months. I know that bm is the best thing for her within the first year. All help is greatly appreciated!!!

Default Re: I need some advice...

OK, I will try to answer as best I can. This may get long though so bear with me....

I just wanted to see how many of you started with the something other than the rice cereal. What did you tell your pediatricians?
    We started with rice cereal and eventually added oatmeal and malt o meal. I make all of Wyatt's food so I also made his cereal. So he does get some cereal. My pediatrician never pushed cereal, she just said we were OK to start solids. So we did. If you don't want to start with cereal, don't. And just don't tell the ped. Or you could make your own cereal (we did this one) and it is pretty easy.

I want to make my own baby food and starting with fresh rather than processed sounds much better to me.
    There are several things to think about here.

1. Do you want to make all the food or just some (supplement with store bought?)

2. Do you want to do pureed food or go the baby led approach?

3. Do you want to make it up in advance or just day to day?

I make all of Wyatt's up in advance. I spend one day about every 2 weeks or so cooking for him. I make whatever I want, cook however I like and then cut, mash, dice, puree and freeze. This way we just grab something out of the freezer, microwave for 30 seconds and we are ready.

I have a KIDCO baby food mill. (I will add a link at the bottom of the page) that I love. You can also use a blender (although the complaint is that they are very hard to clean) or a food processor. A lot of women like the magic bullet also. After cooking the food (I cook everything but bananas and avocados) I run thru the mill (or dice now that he gets more textured foods) and then place in ice cube trays. I freeze for about 24 hours and then split into labeled and dated freezer bags. The food is good for about 3 months in the freezer and about 4 days in the fridge.

You also want to make sure that no matter what route you take you only introduce one new food every 3-4 days. This will give you time to see if there is an allergy. See this link for allergy info. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...rst-foods.html

Here is the recipe I used for cereal:
    Using a food processor or blender, blend organic brown rice until it is
    finely ground, like a flour. Boil some water in a saucepan with a lid, about
    2 cups, slowly whisk in about 1/4 cup of the rice flour. Cover and turn down
    to minimum heat. Stir every 2 minutes for 10 minutes.This will last in the
    refrigerator for 2 or 3 days. As your baby gets older, you can begin using
    all sorts of different grains and then legumes such as brown rice, oatmeal,
    millet, garbanzo beans and black beans. Just blend into flour and cook.

If you have any other questions, please ask or pm me. I love this topic. I also have a bunch of recipes that I will share with you.

Oh, and we started solids at about 6 1/2 months.

Here's the link for the baby food mill:
    http://www.kidco.com/

Default Re: I need some advice...

I use this web-site to make our own baby food.

www.wholesomebabyfood.com

They have great tips and it is SOOOOOO easy. I can make about 2 weeks worth of food in about an hour. AJ loves it and I feel it's much healthier for him.

HTH