Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Salmon

Default Salmon

Hi,
    Can a 7 month old eat salmonor other fish? So far my ds has had some fruit and veg, oatmeal and yogurt.

Thanks

Default Re: Salmon

This is from a LLL link Meat and fish

"Babies often prefer well-cooked chicken, which is soft and easy to eat when shredded. Be careful to remove even the tiny bones when serving fish."

Kellymom does say that if there is any allergy history in the family you should wait to introduce fish and seafood untill 2-3 years or later. Make sure to watch for any allergic reactions.

"Following are some reactions that may help you recognize an allergy in your baby:

Bloating, gassiness
    Skin rashes (for example, a sandpaper-like raised red rash on the face), eczema, hives
    Runny nose, stuffiness, constant cold-type symptoms
    Red itchy eyes, swollen eyelids, dark circles under the eyes, constant tearing
    Diarrhea, mucousy stools, intestinal upset
    A red rash around the anus
    Generally cranky behavior, fussiness, irritability, colic
    Vomiting or increased spitting-up
    Asthma
    Ear infections
    Poor weight gain due to malabsorption of food
    According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, six foods account for 90% of food allergies in children: cow's milk, eggs, peanuts, wheat, soy and tree nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc.). Other allergenic foods include: pork, fish and shellfish, oranges and other citrus fruits, berries, chocolate, tomatoes, corn, and food additives."

My ped said to wait until a year before starting fish...or longer if there are allergies in the family. Yet, I do know a friend who did start offering fish before her DD turned 1 and they've had no problems.

I was also told to hold off on Salmon b/c of the mercury levels. I think it was until 3...I'll see if I can find a link to elucidate...

ETA: after a quick search, nothing...in fact most of the links say that the levels are below FDA requirements and that the benefits outweigh any risks...I think I will hold off until after a year, personally. That's just me, though
    Last edited by @llli*evin; January 26th, 2007 at 03:02 PM.

Thank you everyone for the answers.
    I've actually given oranges... and I've noticed a red rash around the anus once but I'm not sure if it was around the time/day he tried the orange...
    Also, he's having yogurt which is of course, cow's milk, so I'm in doubt now.
    His rash is no longer there and he never had any reactions to the foods. He looks really well.
    I hope I'm doing everything right. I'll stop the oranges but I'm not sure I should stop the yogurt...

Forgot to say...
    Do you know if the skin rash just around the anus is always due to an allergic reaction or could it be due to other things such as teething or simply the introduction of solids causing the stools to be more consistent ?

Quote Originally Posted by Evin View Post
    I was also told to hold off on Salmon b/c of the mercury levels.
    (Plug for Alaska)...that is why Wild Alaska salmon is so good! It has one of the lowest levels of mercury of any fish. Babies here in Alaska eat our wild salmon from 6 months, and providing no family allergies, thrive!

True that, yo! I just had a ROCKIN' filet of wild sockeye salmon a couple weeks ago.

I heard from a mama in Japan that they feed their LOs sushi as soon as they're eating table food. Of course, they also aren't warned off sushi during pregnancy, so there ya go.