Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many times a day does a breastfed baby normally poop?

Question How many times a day does a breastfed baby normally poop?

How many times a day does a breastfed baby normally poop? My daughter is 3weeks and is breastfed exclusively, she poops at every diaper change. Is this normal?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: How many times a day does a breastfed baby normally poop?

There's a wide variation of normal, but what you describe is certainly within normal. It's common for a breastfed baby to go several times a day in the early weeks. It's also common for a baby to start pooping once a day or even once every few days. This is especially common once the baby hits 6 or 8 weeks of age. As long as the poops are soft, unformed and profuse when they do happen (and baby is gaining appropriately), then it's not a problem.

one of my LC's said that BF babies have a lot of 'wet' gas too. there is almost always something there when we change.

Very normal!

My son would poop with every feeding for a while there, and then as he got older, he would poop 1-2 times per week! It's all normal!

My DD was a latch and grunt. Seemed like feeding her was turning the faucet on the other end on too It's all good!

One of DD's #1 feeding cues was a great big poop! She pooped before EVERY feeding (during the day only -- weird!) until she was about 6 weeks. When she stopped, I completely freaked and called my LC because I thought something was wrong with her!

Very normal! As they get older, it's not uncommon for exclusively breastfed babies to go up to 10 days or so between bowel movements (though I haven't been that lucky :P )

My son went as long as 8 days without pooping from about 3 weeks on...now he poops about every 5 days or so. He does have difficulty with gas, though, poor little guy. Has anyone tried "gripe water?" Was thinking of trying it...