Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gentle Pantley Removal Method?

Default Gentle Pantley Removal Method?

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this method (to disassociate sucking on the breast and falling asleep). I tried last night for the first time and my baby was so upset everytime that she was getting worked up instead of falling asleep.

Also, I'm trying it while breastfeeding lying down in bed, so I'm not sure how to rock her while pressing on her chin without waking her up more.

Has anyone had success with this?

Default Re: Gentle Pantley Removal Method?

I've been doing the very same thing with my 3 1/2 month old as well as trying other ideas in the book. She is definitely getting better, if she gets at all distressed I put her straight back on then try again after half a minute. She rarely fusses too much now, makes a few sucky noises and then goes to sleep (in my arms-that's the next hurdle). I try and make sure she gets to sleep in other ways during the day and I think this might help. I'm not there yet though! I think it's very much a case of slowly slowly.

Default Re: Gentle Pantley Removal Method?

I tried it when DS was younger and he WOULD NOT HAVE ANY OF THAT! It is easier now that he is older (almost nine months). I wait until he is flutter sucking and then remove it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I have to wait until he's in a deeper sleep. Now that he knows sleep is a safe place to be in and that I am always right there, or will come right to him when he wakes, he doesn't mind. He even opens his eyes sometimes when I remove my nipple, looks at me, smiles, and then rolls over and goes to sleep. I have never done the chin holding thing though. I just try to remove my nipple when I think he's really drowsy, and if he fusses, I give it back to him right away. It usually always works when he's nice and drowsy and relaxed. Good luck!

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com