Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping and overwelmed

Default pumping and overwelmed

i am pumping all day i have had latching problems w/my lo and never got my supply up enough to feed baby...i have used the sns...have tried pumping after every feeding but nothing has made it worth while yet...my baby is 31/2 months old now still tiny only 10lbs....and now i have turned to pumping like crazy during the day like 12 x's + and then once or twice at night ...and i try to breastfeed her at night if she is hungry...my supply has gone up but not dramatically...im taking goat rue and more milk plus....taking my prenatals...but this is really hard to continue....it really consumes me....i need advice on how to pump to build my supply dramatically ...when i pump i pump for at least 10min usually 12min...if not more...up to 20min tops...i am super desprate at this point i have been doing this for almost 3mths straight...PLEASE...PLEASE...HELP...

Default Re: pumping and overwelmed

Have you watched the Jack Newman videos on how to latch properly? Getting the baby to the breast is what's going to increase your supply. Pumping helps but it never really empties your breasts like the baby does. Have you tried eating oatmeal? I know when I want an extra bump I eat oatmeal for a few days and I notice and increase in fullness between feeds. I'm sorry you're having so much difficulty but kudo's to you for sticking with it!!!

yes i watched the video....she just wont latch properly she will gulp for a bit sometimes but she always falls off and cant get it right i have tried so hard....and yes oatmeal helps a bit but not much....a ear, nose, throat dr. said she has an odd movement of tongue...so...i dont know what else to do but try to push it up w/ the pumping....

So are you wanting advice on how to pump more milk or suggestions on how to encourage a good latch?
    I'd contact my local LLL leader and have her hook me up with someone who had a like experience. It can really help to have a live person to talk you through something.
    As far as the pumping, have you bought any Fenugreek tablets yet? They increase milk production. Can you record your baby's hunger cries? It will help with your let down when you pump if you hear them. Totally agree that the best suggestion is to keep putting your baby on the breast, She'll get the hang of it soon I hope. hth

i am thinking that pumping exclusivley will be the best for me at this point....i just want to pump enough for baby....i want to know how to build my supply with the pump...???

After you breastfeed pump for 5-10 minutes to tell your breast that more is needed. Look at a picture of your baby, and what i said about listening to hunger cries. Then if its just all pump no baby i would replace every feeding period with pumping. you'll need around 24 oz a day.

when i first started exclusively pumping i pump every 3 hours around the clock,i would set my alarm to wake up. (i bought a book about exclusive pumping, http://www.exclusivelypumping.com/index.htm) and one of the main things i got from it was to make sure you pump at least once between 1-4am. another thing is i don't watch the clock on how long i pump, i pump until my breast are empty (but i have found around the 20 minute point i have a second let down) i pump and use breast compressions and pump until it seems like no more milk is going to come out.

when i first started i was just meeting LO needs (He was 3 weeks), now i make about double what me eats and freeze the rest (LO is 6 months old). (it took me probably 3 months to get to this point).

i will give you my one piece of advice, if you little one will still try to latch on, see if you can get some help. i wish i could get LO to latch on, but by the time i think i figured things out he wouldn't even try, he was hooked on the bottle and it is a lot more work than BF. expecially when you get up at 1am for a feeding, get LO back in bed and pump for 25 minutes, pick up the milk and get back in bed, it's like an hour to an hour and a half ordeal, instead of 20 minutes.
    '
    when i first started puming i posted a trend about worrying about my supply, some people put some really helpful stuff for me to read, this is the link
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...clusive+pumper

good luck and stay on top of the pumping, even at night.

Quote Originally Posted by kaya's momma View Post
    my baby is 31/2 months old now still tiny only 10lbs....
    Remember that babies grow at their own rates. Not all babies are chunks!! That goes for FF babies as well. I was EBF for 3 months, and FF the rest; I was only 17 pounds at a year. My DS is 5.5 months and only weighs 12.9lbs. Healthy as can be.

Hang in there mama, you're doing a wonderful job!!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin