Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medela PIS and Lactina = same thing?

Question Medela PIS and Lactina = same thing?

I read an article online last night that PIS are now considered hospital grade. Is that true? They said Lactina's and PIS are now basically the same pump, the Lactina just costs a lot more of course.

I've only used a Lactina in the past and it worked very well for me. I am wondering if a PIS this time around would work just as well for me probably? I know there's no way to tell until you try it. But I am wondering what others think about PIS vs. Lactina? I know you can rent Lactina's, but I'd almost rather shell out a couple hundred or so on a PIS then rent a Lactina.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Medela PIS and Lactina = same thing?

I would like to read this article. Do you have a link?

The Lactina and PIS are not the same thing. The Lactina uses a piston action for the suction and has a closed system, thus is it able to be used by multiple mothers. Also, the motor is built to last through lots of wear and tear. The PIS uses a diaphram for the suction, and is NOT a closed system. It is considered a single user item (like a toothbrush, for example).

Some mothers report that PIS works as well for them as the Lactina. But, as far as the actual pump goes, no, they are not equal. I don't have the suction and pressure measurements handy, but I believe that the Lactina is superior in that, as well. You could probably read more at: www.medela.com

HTH