Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: preparing EBM

Default preparing EBM

My husband is beginning to "practice" give our daughter a bottle of EBM because he'll be staying at home while I go to work. Does EBM have to warmed in or under warm water, or can it be warmed on the counter sitting at room at tempeture. My conern is she'll get hungry and start crying before he can get the milk ready. I'm wondering if when I leave for work, I can put a bottle out on the counter and it will be ready for her next feeding. Then at that feeding he takes out the bottle for the next one. Is this reasonable and/or safe?

Also...any bottle/nipple reccomendations for going back and forth from breast to bottle?? I'm thinking about using disposable bottles since the storage bags I bought are compatible. We've tried the Breastflow bottles three times, but I think the nipple is too hard and she doesn't like it too much.

Thanks for you help!

Mary
    new mom to a happily breastfed baby!

Default Re: preparing EBM

Here is what LLL says about storing/rewarming milk:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

In my experience, the milk in milk storage bags (make sure they're the type specifically for storing milk and not just bottle liners) thaw very, very quickly if they are laid flat when frozen.

As for nipples, that changes with every baby. Here is an article for helping your baby to take a bottle:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

What a great daddy to be staying home with dd. I have found that I will set the bag, my bags fit right on my flanges for the pump and you just pump right into that, in a cup of warm water so that they are ready to be poured into a bottle when the time comes. Check out that link for the exact LL protocol. Best of luck!

My husband has been staying home with our dd for the last 2 months, too . He has been experimenting with not warming the milk-- giving it to her chilly. He started trying this because, like you were saying, she was crying and hungry, and he didn't have time to warm it up. He found that she will take chilly milk most of the time, which is great for him, because then he can pack a bottle in a cooler bag, go out for the afternoon with dd, and not have to worry about finding a way to warm it up. Also, it means that milk directly from mom will always be better .

Here's what I've found for going back and forth b/w bottles and breast: My son won't take a pacifier, so I was pretty sure he'd refuse bottles as well. He was extremely fussy with every bottle I tried (2nd nature, avent, the breastbottle) BUT the Playtex Premium Nurser with the disposable drop-ins. The nipple is soft and textured so that it's more like us. I think each baby will do their own thing but this is the one that works for us! If it does work for you, Berkley Jensen makes the drop-ins and they're oh so much cheaper....Good luck!

If the milk has already been refrigerated I would not let it sit out, but freshly expressed breast milk can sit at room temperature for up to 10 hours. So you could leave her first bottle out for her in the morning. For a quick warming of of the other bottles why not try keeping hot water in a crock pot. Just don't nuke it in the microwave because it can damage the healthful properties of your milk. Also, I recently found out that rapidly shaking your milk to get the cream off of the plastic can damage it too. That is why the La Leche League article says to gently swirl it. (Think of the healthful properties as bubbles that can pop when you shake it.)

When I finally ran out of storage bags I decided to be frugal and freeze my milk in ice cube trays. You just pour it up, cover it up with plastic wrap, freeze, and then store them loose in a zip lock freezer bag. Then you can select how many ounces you need. This was really helpful when my milk supply was low and I needed to pop in an ounce or two to finish filling up a bottle I pumped the previous day.

Now about nipples. I guess every baby is different. My daughter was 3 months old and wouldn't take a bottle from anyone. She hated ALL artificial nipples but the one she hated least was the medela nipples that come with their feeding set. I used the medela pump in style so I would pump into the bottles that came with the set and the next day all the sitter would have to do was put the nipple on the bottle.

Here are some articles that are NOT LLL resources, but contain some good, research based information:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/r...essedmilk.html
    http://www.bflrc.com/ljs/breastfeeding/shakenot.htm
    http://www.bfar.org/nipples.shtml

HTH!

Here's what we do, and we have been bottle feeding 2-3 feedings a day for 9 weeks:

With milk that I have not frozen, I make up the bottles in the morning that dh will use to feed dd. I put as much in the bottle as I think she will eat and a little extra, and leave them in the fridge. DH sticks it in a bottle warmer ($20 or so at any walmart type store) about 30 minutes before he thinks dd will eat. If she doesn't eat it all, he sticks it back in the fridge and reheats it for the next feeding, about 2 hours later.

With milk that I have frozen, I do the same thing, but we never reheat it.

When we are traveling, I carry a thermos with hot water and use that to heat bottles (we have never tried cold milk--she dislikes the bottle enough already).

And I didn't know that we weren't supposed to shake it to get the extra off the sides, but great info.