Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8-12 feedings a day?

Default 8-12 feedings a day?

When is it no longer necessary to get 8-12 feedings per day? I'm asking this because my 10 week old son sometimes doesn't quite make it to 8 (although I don't keep rigid check), though he has been thriving, has good diapers, is almost twice his birthweight, etc. Is there a weight or an age when one doesn't need to worry about the magical numbers of 8-12?

His weight on Jan 23rd (Tuesday) was 13 pounds 4 ounces at the pediatrician's. Birthweight was 6 pounds 14 ounces.

Thanks!
    Millie

Default Re: 8-12 feedings a day?

As long as you are following your baby's cues and the baby has plenty of wet/dirty diapers and is gaining well, then you're doing fine. There is no magical age or weight. Some babies will continue to eat that frequently, or even more often for even years. Many will eat that frequently until they are taking a significant amount of solids. Others don't need to eat so often. Nursing patterns often change over time. Babies may go through growth spurts (or teething or developmental phases, etc.) when they nurse more often, and then may slow down at other times. Just nurse when baby wants to nurse and it should go fine. It sounds like your nursling is doing very well!

Quote Originally Posted by llowe View Post
    Just nurse when baby wants to nurse and it should go fine. It sounds like your nursling is doing very well!
    llowe-

Thank you for the reassurance! I'm going back to work next week, so everything has been worrying me recently!

Millie

my 15 week old son still nurses about 8 times in a 24 hour period, sometimes it's 9 but his growth is fine and he's a happy bunny. you're doing great mum!

my LO is about 14 weeks and only eats from 5-6x a day. If he is sleeping, I let him go no more than 4 hours between feedings...unless it's over night. Sometimes he wants to eat at 2 hours and others at 3 hours. It just depends on his mood. He always has his hands in his mouth, so sometimes I can't tell if he's hungry or just discovering his little fingers. I'm sure when he starts solids that he won't need as much