Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to build a frozen supply of milk?

Default How to build a frozen supply of milk?

I have a 3 week old girl and would like to build a supply of milk in the freezer so my husband can feed her. My daughter is feeding every 2.5 to 3 hours for 25 to 40 minutes each time. How can I build up a supply in the freezer? Should I pump after each feeding? If I do that will I have milk for the next feeding? Should I feed her formula once a day so I can pump once a day?

Please advise

Default Re: How to build a frozen supply of milk?

I built mine up by pumping after every feeding. I once we started her on bottles I also pumped when I didn't feed her and froze that, and I pumped at night and in the early morning. That's still when I get the most. YOu should have enough to feed her at her feedings if you pump after nursing if you're supply is ok.

I wouldn't replace bf with formula just to build a supply. If that's the case, then just give her formula in a bottle and you don't need a frozen supply.

Congrats momma!!!! If I understand correctly, you would like to primarily breastfeed and pump so that dad can help out with a feeding right? If that is the case you could try to pump in the morning (when most mothers feel "full"). I would be carefull with pumping both breasts after each feeding right away~it could lead you down the path of a oversupply issue (that was my experience though).

You could nurse your LO on one side in the morning and pump the other breast (the one that was not nursed on). Does that make sence? I would also avoid any supplementing with formula, again, breastfeeding can be very tempremental~if you introduce formula, your supply will be affected. Is there a LLL meeting close to you, it is a great source of support and helps to have people that can be "hands on", KWIM? good luck, I hope you find what works for you

Will your husband be feeding LO while you're around or when you need to be away from LO? If your DH is feeding with a bottle while you're around - you don't necessarily need a frozen supply, just being able to pump enough for the next bottle.

This is what we did - I initially pumped after our DS's first morning nursing and was able to get enough from the other breast for a bottle because women's breasts tend to be more full in the morning. After that - my DH would offer a bottle and once we were sure DS was taking the bottle I'd go in the other room and pump at the same time for the next day's bottle.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks ladies! I am trying not to give formula so I will try pumping after feeding.

I am working on a frozen supply as well. Like the other moms mentioned, I have found it best to pump after feedings. I don't have an oversupply issue, so sometimes I only get an ounce or so from each breast. But, it quickly builds up! I also try to pump while dad feeds Jonathan. As baby further spaces feedings, you may find that nightime or very early morning is an excellent time to pump. Recently my little guy cut back his number of nighttime nursings, so I often pump after he eats around 2 am and have had great success with that.

It gave me some relief to learn that you never really "run out." You not only have milk stored in your breasts, but you also produce milk as baby nurses. So, don't worry about "running out" due to pumping after a feeding.

My LO is 4 weeks old, and we have been doing the same thing, after she nurses I will pump the other side (sometimes the same side if she doesnt nurse very long) but I always wait to be sure she's not going to surprise me and want more LOL Good luck to you!

I used to just do an extra pump in the morning between feedings. Usually your milk supply is much higher in the morning. I would get a good 4 ozs in one sitting that way. Not sure how often you want dh involved in the feedings. If its just once a day or now and again I don't think you need to pump that frequently. Its whatever you feel comfortable with though. Good luck!

~June

I had this problem initially but ended up giving her one bottle per day for first feeding in the morning, and in turn was able to pump 2. I would give her one the next morning, and freeze the other one. I built up 25 or 30 bags in 4 weeks this way. Pretty foolproof!