Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need words of encouragement

Unhappy Need words of encouragement

Today-I took my ds to the dr. I had noticed he was fussy nonstop, had loud poopy farts, and was constantly arching his back and pulling off my breast. I thought he might have thrush or an ear infection. My gut instinct was he is not getting enough to eat, because his clothes started getting bigger on him.
    I found out that my ds was losing weight and that I am having a low supply issue. His weight two weeks ago was 10 lbs 3 oz his weight today was 9 lb 13 oz. I felt terrible and had to hold back the tears at the doc office.
    I guess my supply started to diminish when he started sleeping in his own bed. He would sleep 8 hours at night-and sometimes I had to wake him up at that eight hour to feed him. During the day he would nurse every 4 hours. On sunday I developed a clogged duct and I notice my milk was significantly decreasing as I would pump.
    Yesterday when I noticed my supply decreasing even more and that he was getting increasingly more fussy I decided to start feeding him every 3 hours.
    I just feel so guilty.
    His dr wants me to nurse on each side for 15-20 min and then feed him 2 oz of formula. I want to nurse as long as he wants and if he is still hungry offer him some expressed breast milk. Then I was told to pump 10 min post eating. Any suggestions or words of encouragement would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Need words of encouragement

Keep up your chin. I have been told to to pump after you feed. And then there is are some foods you can eat that helps increase your supply. I was told chicken broth is one of them. I would also talk to a LC on other foods or herbs you can take. My one friend took a tea that a LC recomended. It helped her too. pumping and feeding as much as you can will help increase your supply. Keep up your chin though.

I know it must be very difficult to hear that your son has lost weight. Was he weighed on the same scale? Scales can vary in their calibration, and they have been known to be as much as 4 pounds off! It is very important when concerned about weight gain to weigh the baby on the same scale without the diaper each time.

It does sound like his sudden longer sleeping periods and time between nursing has affected your supply some. But don't stress too much about it, because it can bounce right back. The best thing to do to boost your supply is to nurse, nurse, nurse. Feed the baby every two -three hours, even at night. If you have to wake him, then definitely wake him. I'm curious if he was sick or not feeling well for a short time? Just like adults, babies will often decrease the amount of food when they are sick. Also, it would be helpful to know your baby's age. I'm assuming with the low weights he is still very young. What was his birth weight? The answers to these questions can help with giving you accurate information.

It sounds like you don't want to supplement with formula. Many mothers who feel the way you do prefer to supplement with expressed breast milk. It is perfectly fine to do so. You may find that boosting your supply by nursing the baby often will help better than supplements. And if you are concerned, you can always run in for a quick weight check. He should have a minimum of 6-8 wet diapers and 3-4 dirty diapers in a 24 hour period. Remember - what goes in, comes out!

Pumping after a feeding is one of the best ways to boost your supply....second only to letting the baby nurse every 2 hours for as long as baby wants. Even though you won't actually be pumping much milk, you will be sending signals to your body that more milk is needed and there will be an increase in production. Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand....the more your baby nurses then the more milk you will make.

I hope this information is helpful! Hang in there, and you will get through this! Many times small changes in breastfeeding management are all that is needed to make a baby gain again. And some babies are just lazy when it comes to eating and need a little help in the early weeks, but cause mom to get a few gray hairs in the process!!
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Smile Re: Need words of encouragement

My ds is 10.5 weeks old. His birth weight was 7 lb 7oz and he now weighs 9 lb 13 oz.
    I talked to an LC, she told me to feed every 3 hours even during the night and to pump afterwards. We have a weight check at the doc again on Monday. He was weighed on the same scale with no diaper both times. I have also been instructed to increase fenugreek to 3 tablets 3xday. I was only taking 2 tablets.
    I noticed yesterday his output was less and once it started to be less again today I immediately called the doc.
    It was suggested by the LC that my ds must have not been feeling well also. I did not notice a difference in him. His 8 hour sleeping and long day naps lasted about 1 week. This week he has been sleeping 6 hours at night and taking shorter naps during the day.
    Thanks for the suggestions and support-it really puts me at ease!!

Most moms see results with fenugreek at the 3/3x day dose within 72 hours. Babies his age often nurse every two hours still. Because of the slight weight loss and supply issues you are having, nursing every two hours would help you see results quicker. You could combine the two by nursing every two hours during the day and nursing every three hours between midnight and six. Also, remember to time feedings from the start of one feeding to the start of the next feeding. I had it backwards with my first for a short while.

Sometimes as mothers we want to try all these different things when just simply nursing often will do the trick. One of the first things I recommend to mom's in similar situations is to mimic a growth spurt. I'm sure by now you know what those are! They are a period of 2-3 days where the baby suddenly wants to nurse more often, sometimes around the clock almost! What they are doing is building your supply to match their new demand. As they grow, they are able to take in more milk.

By mimicing a growth spurt, moms often see results very quickly without the extra work of pumping or galactagogues to boost supply. I hope you see results very soon! Let us know how things are going. Once you get supply and weight gain at a comfortable pace, you will likely need to slowly wean from the fenugreek. Keep that in mind when you get to that point.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Smile Re: Need words of encouragement

Good news!! Today we had a weight check at the dr. My ds has gained 5 oz in 5 days and is finally back up to his 2.5 week weight: 10 lbs 2 oz. I know the dr would have like to see him have gained more, but she wanted me to give him formula after bfing him. I did it for a little over a day. A couple of times he would not take it, but obviously when he was hungry he did. My milk supply is back up and on its way. Next week we have another weight check-its hard to believe it has already been 12 weeks we have had him.
    My question is-when should i wean off the fenugreek and how. Also, I go back to work next week. Should I contiue pumping 3 times a day on top of the 2 times I am at work? What is the best way to keep my supply up-I know to continue bf every 3 hours, but does anyone have any more suggestions?
    Sheila