Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething?

Default Teething?

My dd has been very fussy for the past few days while breastfeeding. She is biting me and pulling off a lot. She is even fussy when not eating. She tries to chew on everything she can get her hands on...but when she gets it in her mouth, she nibbles on it a couple of times and starts to cry. I don't see any teeth coming in and her gums don't look red or anything. Could she be teething or could it be something else?

Default Re: Teething?

It could be. ds started gnawing at everything at about 4 months. If pain with nursing or sucking, you may want to have ears checked out to make sure that it's not a ear infection brewing. Oh, and even though ds has been exhibiting signs of teething for over 2.5 months, still nothing.

My son was doing this kind of pre-teething behavior even younger than your daughter is now. I too was surprised that such a tiny baby could already be teething. His first tooth didn't erupt until 7 months.

Try treating her for pain (acetaminophen/Tylenol, or maybe with Hyland's Teething Tablets if you prefer a homeopathic approach), and see if that will help. Teething can really be miserable; I hope this passes soon!

--Rebecca

I've been giving her cold liquid filled teething rings and even tried a wet washcloth. She seems to prefer those and doesn't fuss as quickly as with other objects. She's been drooling a lot...since she was 2 months old. I bought some teething gel too...but I don't want to use it unless I know for sure that she is teething. I suppose I could try that or the tylenol to see if it helps. She doesn't do it every time she nurses, so I'm not sure if it's an ear infection...I'll just have to keep an eye on her to see if it get's worse.
    Thanks for the info.