Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pouring Milk Down The Drain

Unhappy Pouring Milk Down The Drain

I have to say that I am tired of freezing extra milk. I pump 2 times at work and get 10oz (total). I would have more if I pumped longer. I normally pump 10m first session and 5min the second session. Occasionally my milk will come out so fast that I go over 10oz or if my DD nurses once during the night I will be engorged causing extra milk. Yesterday instead of freezing the extra 3oz I had I poured it down the drain. My dd barely gets 9oz down during the day, she's never been a big eater. I feel horrible not freezing the milk but I know that by freezing it, it is unlikely that she will used that bag of frozen milk due to all the others that need to be used. I don't have a deep freezer.
    I also feel some guilt because I read about how some mother's struggle to get 2oz in a session.
    Can anyone relate to this?

My dd is 4 1/2 mo.

Default Re: Pouring Milk Down The Drain

Do you double pump (both breasts) or just one side?

I went through a couple weeks when my LO first went to day care where he wasn't eating very much and then reverse cycling / cluster feeding at night. During that time I went to pumping only one side at a time to basically match what he was eating. When he settled in to day care and started eating more I went back to double pumping and basically pump enough for what he needs for the next day. Maybe this would work for you?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

you could see about a milk bank for the extra milk.
    But I agree with the pp... some moms pump what baby needs for the next day and don't have much in the freezer.
    And your baby is young yet as she grows she might start eating much more at each feed.
    you can always use that milk also when you start soilds to add to foods.

does she eat alot when you are together? That might account for her low milk intake during the day. What about sleeping at night? Sometimes when they start sleeping all night they start eating more during the day.

My next thought was to stop double pumping and only pump one side, I just wasn't sure how that would affect my milk supply.
    I will try the single pumping and see how that works out.
    She eats ok when we are together, she does nurse over night, she goes to bed at 9:30 eats at 12 again around 4 or 5am sometimes she may wake up earlier and therefore eats twice during the night.
    She's always been a little eater she just got over a two week period of only taking 5-7oz during the day.
    We are concerned about what may happen when she starts solids. She's a good weight now but her calorie intake will change when she is on solids. She's my little chunky now I just don't want her to be a rail later although me and my husband are slim.
    --I'm rambling.
    Thanks for the advice I will try it.

you don't have to start solids untill shes alot older if you don't want to.
    Breastmilk is all thats needed well after the 1st 6 months. My last two didn't start eating solids untill they were 9-12 months old.
    some babies eat alot at night to make up for being gone from mom during the day. its normal for them..
    watch her wets and poops and weight gain, and add some extra feeds if you feal like shes dropping..

I have the same problem. I produce almost 50 oz day (exclusively pumping) and my son takes 25-30. I don't want to change my pumping b/c I am afraid I will then not make enough. My fridge is packed! It is driving me nuts. I would like to donate to a milk bank but I am working FT while DH works from home with the baby and I really don't know if I have time to prepare all the milk for donation...is it a longer process? I pump every 3 hours with a 6-7 hr stretch at night which I think I may go to every 3.5 hours during the day. I feel bad for those who don't get enough...wish there was a happy medium.

Talking Re: Pouring Milk Down The Drain

Quote Originally Posted by Bethy223 View Post
    I really don't know if I have time to prepare all the milk for donation...is it a longer process?
    I don't think you need to do anything to the milk other than get hooked up with a milk bank and they do the rest. It's really a matter of getting a series of test done on yourself. I personally do not want donate milk at this time, maybe in the future, if I would have known early on I prob. would have done it but I spent quite sometime decreasing my milk supply. It's not perfect but tolerable. I am tired of freezing milk, I am really in the mode of making enough for what she needs and no extra until my stash starts going down.

Good Luck, if you decide to donate it's a great gift to the babies and parents who recieve your milk!