Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only Drip on Left Breast

Default Only Drip on Left Breast

Hi all,

Please HELP!!! i can only get drips out of my left breast whereas squirts would come out of right breast. 2oz for left but 5 oz for right. I can't seem to get more out of left breast then it end up clogging. I tried to pump longer on left breast but nipple burns after long pumping (got 3 different shields and still sore after each pump) What can i do? please help!!! up to point of giving up.

Default Re: Only Drip on Left Breast

i'm the same way. i got double if not more from my right breast and it seemed like it was a lot harder to drain. i read on here that it is normal to have one side produce more than the other. people said that it is because you favor one side when BF and might not even realize it. i also squeeze or apply pressure to try to empty my left breast. while it doesnt seem to cut gown on my pump time, it does seem to help me drain more.

Quote Originally Posted by javaagirl View Post
    Hi all,
    I can't seem to get more out of left breast then it end up clogging.
    Hello and welcome to the forum.
    How old is the baby that you are pumping for? What is the chance you can put the baby on the breast more often? The best way to unplugg anything is to let the baby help. A warm shower and gentle massage should help too. Here is a link you may find helpful:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022100.asp
    Also I want to mention that 5 0z is a whole lot, and its possible that you might want to start pumping more often. You only need about one to one and a half oz for every hour you are away from your baby. Have you tried looking at a picture of your baby while you pump or anything like that? Sometimes a manual pump is better on a breast that is resistant to an electric pump.

I am exclusively pumping ( i thought it would be easier at first but soooo wrong). DS is only 3.5 weeks old. I didn't seem to have the problem during the first 3 weeks or so then the clogged ducts came, now mastitis. Each time i get to rest, i would put a warm compressor on but still no help.

i have a similar problem, my left breast produces more than twice what the left one does. i have tried many things to try and remedy the situation but with no luck. i try to always begin nursing on the right side, i was told that was the best way to try to even out the milk production because babies suck more vigorously when they first begin nursing and that would stimulate milk production
    i am eager to see what kind of advice your post will bring.

I am exclusively pumping ( i thought it would be easier at first but soooo wrong). DS is only 3.5 weeks old. I didn't seem to have the problem during the first 3 weeks or so then the clogged ducts came, now mastitis. Each time i get to rest, i would put a warm compressor on but still no help.
    Have you considered trying to put the baby back on? Many women have done this sucsessfully after a longer time than you have pumping. We can offer tips if you would like to try.

Also try this, gravity may really help you out. I realize you might feel weird in the position, but pump you breast out while nipple points to floor. In other words get on all fours to assist the flow.

i have been thinking of putting the baby back on the breast but currently trying to get over this mastitis first and deal with all the stress. PLEASE do provide the tips on how i can start putting the baby back on the breast. I been trying with DS and he does latch on (or so i think) and suck. I can hear him swallow but he would only hang on for like no more than 5 mins then he just fusses and turn all red crying. I then would give up.

i have been thinking of putting the baby back on the breast but currently trying to get over this mastitis first and deal with all the stress. PLEASE do provide the tips on how i can start putting the baby back on the breast. I been trying with DS and he does latch on (or so i think) and suck. I can hear him swallow but he would only hang on for like no more than 5 mins then he just fusses and turn all red crying. I then would give up.
    During the swallowing period you can dump and entire feeding down their throats in like 3 minutes sometimes!! Also the BESt thing for mastitus is bfing. Get into the position I talked about. If you can remove that milk, it'll go away faster.
    So as far as getting the baby back onto the breast I would try the skin to skin contact first. Babies really respond well to that. Also if you take a warm bath together and relax, sometimes the baby will start rooting around for the nipple all on their own. Thats the perfect time. And don't try it when the baby is super starving if you've had trouble with bb rejecting nipple, take the edge off the hunger first. What have you tried so far? Do you do breast compressions at the end of a feeding? BB may fuss becuase your let down is slowing and he has to work for the milk. Its easier from a bottle, but it doesn't develope the jaw muscles the same.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; January 28th, 2007 at 04:06 AM.