Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Newman suggests not waking baby up every 2-3 hours??

Default Dr. Newman suggests not waking baby up every 2-3 hours??

In his birth den site/videos he suggests that sometimes babies become turned off by the breast when in the hospital moms are taught to feed their litttle one every 2-3 hours, even if it means waking the baby up.

If you don't wake the baby up wouldn't this compromise how soon your milk comes in and your baby gaining weight?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Dr. Newman suggests not waking baby up every 2-3 hours??

Personally, I woke my DD up by the third hour if she did not wake on her own. When they are newborn, they really do need to eat often. It helps you with your supply, and them with their weight (and nutrition!). Once breastfeeding is established and your LO is gaining well, then you can maybe wait a little longer. But I think I woke my DD up until she was about 6 weeks old (though usually she woke up on her own).

Dr Newman really knows his stuff. A lot of his work is referenced throughout LLL material. Baby will be very alert in the first few hours after birth, and that is the ideal time to get him or her to the breast. Here's an article that may help:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/frequency.html

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hmmm. I woke up my baby every hour and a half until he latched on properly. They can take a while to figure it out, and I had one of those babies. So I spent hours and hours tickling his feet to try and wake him up more, then hours and hours tickling his lip with a booby Eventually he latched on, and I calmed down and went to the regular every two hours at max 3. hth.

U know this issue is bugging me too, I mean I did wake up my lo every 2-3 hours to feed him during day time in the first few weeks, now he just CANT sleep longer than 2 hours day or night..n u know wat my mom says..its coz I woke him up all the time. can that be true?

By the way, my mom is a mother of SIX kids..she says she NEVER woke up any one of us to feed...we would sleep for looong hours first few weeks..n she fed us wen we woke up by ourselves...n we turned out as very healthy 6 adults....so wen she said that my son is getting up every 2 hours to nurse even at night coz I used to wake him up, I felt that it made some sense..dont know..but I have decided something, since I am experianced mom now..I wont wake up my 2nd baby..n i will see how things will go on....but yet again..every baby is unique..

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    Dr Newman really knows his stuff. A lot of his work is referenced throughout LLL material. Baby will be very alert in the first few hours after birth, and that is the ideal time to get him or her to the breast. Here's an article that may help:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/frequency.html

Jen
    Based on this article I'd wake the baby up after at least by hour 3, in the first 6 weeks.
    "Research now shows that restricting the amount of time at the breast and extending the time between feedings can reduce not only a mother's milk supply, but also the fat content of her milk -- resulting in a hungry, crying baby."

Thanks for your feedback!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I think it's normal for babies to wake every 2-3 hours to nurse and I don't think we train them to do that in the hospital. I was way too out of it to know how often I nursed... or tried to nurse... my baby in the hospital and I had a hard time answering the nurses when they asked, but since she was sleeping on top of me all night I don't think they were too worried about it.

I don't know about the turn-off part... I did wake her at least a couple times and trust me, she was never turned off! I do know that trying to LEARN to nurse when either mom or baby is exhausted can be difficult, so maybe that's the issue. I am still nursing dd and she's almost three. If I were to wake her now to nurse her I think she'd think it was Christmas or something.

The lactation consultant I saw in the hospital said to do it for the first week because of the epidural and painkillers that the majority or American women get that keeps baby drowsy. After that, she said don't worry about it.

Honestly, I never woke my baby to feed, but he never really wanted to go longer than 3 hours anyway. I watched the number of times per day more than the hours in between. I will say, though, that there are a number of reasons why you would WANT to wake your baby (jaundice being one of them) to feed, and it certainly doesn't hurt your milk supply, either!!!

I remember while I was in the hospital, and they wanted me to wake DS #3 to feed because it had been x-number of hours, and his blood sugar was on the low side, but not dangerous. Anyway, YEAH, RIGHT! He wasn't interested in feeding when they wanted him to, and honestly I didn't try that hard. He woke when he was ready, and ate like a champ. In hindsight, I guess I was too trusting, as it could have been a dangerous situation, but I just did what I thought was right at the time.

Lisa

With my first, I didn't have to worry about it -- he woke me up!! Every hour. No kidding. Nursing is a learned skill, and he ensured I learned how to do it. But we had missed the first wake period, so I was trying to nurse a baby who wanted to sleep for the first few days. He lost weight anyway and spent a lot of time crying. It was awful.

With Colton, I totally took advantage of that golden period and nursed him for two hours straight. He fell asleep, and we went home and got into bed. We all slept for quite a few hours. I was just starting to think about waking him up (7 hours later, or even a bit more) when he wanted to eat. I realized that I could trust him and went with it. It was scary because it wasn't what I had been told and read and I nearly called my LLL leader, but I nursed 100% on demand, and he NEVER lost any weight!! His ped was astonished to see he had gained 2 ounces by 2 days of age! My milk came in slowly, which was OK by me so I didn't wake up engorged suddenly, but came in by like 2 days, which was actually sooner than with my first.

A friend of mine just had baby #8, and she said she figured out to not wake the baby, if everything is going well, by the 3rd or 4th child. She nurses right away, lets the baby nurse as long as it wants to, then lets the baby sleep for a while, gets some rest herself and then starts in nursing every few hours after that. She says in her experience, trying to force it on a baby who just wants to sleep for a few hours, is a waste of time and effort on her part and exhausts her. The nurses always give her a hard time about it, but it has worked for her.

I'd say trust your instincts and see how things go.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!