Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wait 24 hours to nurse??? Supposedly nurses' advice.

Default Wait 24 hours to nurse??? Supposedly nurses' advice.

Thanks..
    Last edited by grandma; January 26th, 2007 at 12:30 AM.

Default Re: Wait 24 hours to nurse??? Supposedly nurses' advice.

You're not wrong at all. The advice the nurse gave is just plain wrong. Also, you're right that babies that sleep that many hours may start sleeping through feedings in order to conserve energy. Mine certainly did, and I got into the same problem your daughter did... formula supplementation until the weight issue was fixed.

Mind you, this is all correctable and she can still breastfeed successfully.

Others here will post links with more helpful info soon.

Unless there is something more going on, it sounds like that nurse gave horrible advice. The general rule is to get the baby to breast as soon as possible and as often as possible. You are right; a newborn should be nursing at least 8-12 times in a 24 hours period (i.e. every two to three hours). Hopefully this mother is committed to breastfeeding and can get on track despite the rough start and bad information.

Thank you so much for the reassurance that I knew what I was talking about and this nurse was out in left field. Actually, this is my friend's daughter, not mine. my daughters are planning on starting families soon, so I wanted to make sure I was correct.

Thank you again, your expert advice and reassurance is greatly appreciated!!!

No, this is absolutely wrong. LLL says to nurse early and often.

The early milk is called colostrum and it's extremely important that the baby get the colostrum. It helps to baby to move his bowels (and pass the meconium) and it provides all kinds of immune benefits, as well as preparing the bowel to receive the more mature milk. In addition, frequent nursing sessions for the first few days will actually help to draw the more mature milk in.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/colostrum.html

Here's a link to a whole list of articles dealing with topics that may come up in the early weeks of breastfeeding. Your daughter should read through these now to prepare herself.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBearlyweeks.html

In addition, I highly recommend that she read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and have it on hand as a guide!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!