Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need tips & encouragement for new mommy...

Default need tips & encouragement for new mommy...

hi... i have a two week old little boy and i'm currently breastfeeding... but finding that it's not all that easy!! i really want to continue at least for a couple more weeks before i have to go back to work cause i know it's so much better than bottle feeding... but i'm having a hard time with a few things... more with me than him. i could really use some extra words of encouragement as well!! my biggest issue is leaking... when i feed him... i end up loosing about 1 to 2 oz from the opposite breast!! it's so frustrating cause i end up having to change my shirt a million times a day because i get breastmilk all over me!! my other issue is that he usually only feeds for about 10 minutes... 15 if we are lucky... then i have to wake him up and sometimes he'll latch on to the other side and want more... but sometimes he doesn't. so i'm kinda worried about him not getting enough... not to mention he has horrible gas as well!! oh yeah... and we sometimes supplement with a bottle of forumla before we go to bed, hoping he'll sleep a little longer before his next feeding (dr suggested we could try that because he was waking up every two hours during the night). it also hurts when he latches on... so i've been using that lansinoh (sp?) stuff on my nipples, but it only provides temporary relief. and if i go more than three to four hours without pumping or feeding, i feel like i'm going to explode!!

i get so frustrated sometimes with everything... i could really use some tips from someone who's been there... and a few words of encouragement cause i really don't want to just give up and start bottlefeeding just yet.

thanks ;o)

Default Re: need tips & encouragement for new mommy...

Deep breath. Breastfeeding is hard in the beginning. It's something that you and your lo have to learn. The rewards are so worth it and it's good to have a goal right now. When you make it to your 2 week goal, reevaluate and see if you want to keep going to another goal. When I was first starting out, a wise mom who's also a LLLLeader and IBCLC told me that by three months we would have things down and by six months I would be able to help others. I didn't believe her at the time, but it was true!

my biggest issue is leaking... when i feed him... i end up loosing about 1 to 2 oz from the opposite breast!! it's so frustrating cause i end up having to change my shirt a million times a day because i get breastmilk all over me!!
    Get some cloth diaper and put them over your opposite breast while you're feeding. They are very absorbant and hopefully it will mean fewer outfit changes for you. I also use cotton breast pads inside my bra.

my other issue is that he usually only feeds for about 10 minutes... 15 if we are lucky... then i have to wake him up and sometimes he'll latch on to the other side and want more... but sometimes he doesn't.
    He could very easily be getting enough milk in this amount of time. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as he's gaining, I also wouldn't worry about waking him up. My son has always been a quick nurser and at the top of the charts.

so i'm kinda worried about him not getting enough...
    Output is a good way to make sure he's getting enough. As long as he has 5-6 wet diapers and 2-3 poopy ones a day, he's probably getting enough.

not to mention he has horrible gas as well!!
    That's not uncommon. My son did too the first few weeks. Make sure you are burping him well after feedings.

oh yeah... and we sometimes supplement with a bottle of forumla before we go to bed, hoping he'll sleep a little longer before his next feeding (dr suggested we could try that because he was waking up every two hours during the night).
    The reason they sometimes sleep longer is b/c formula is harder for their little tummies to digest and it takes longer, which isn't really a good thing. I know it is rough right now to wake up every couple of hours, but it is normal and it does get easier. Try to take a nap or two during the day with your lo. Giving bottles at this point can also cause nipple preference, which you don't want to have to deal with. You might want to try to hold off on them for a few more weeks.

it also hurts when he latches on... so i've been using that lansinoh (sp?) stuff on my nipples, but it only provides temporary relief.
    Does it hurt just when he latches on or all during the feeding? If it is just right at first, it's probably okay (although annoying). If it continues to hurt, your latch probably isn't right and should be looked at by a lactation consultant.

and if i go more than three to four hours without pumping or feeding, i feel like i'm going to explode!!
    Yep, that's normal too. That will even off as your hormones settle down and your supply and demand begin to match up. You really should be feeding about every couple hours (at least) at this point.

I know it's hard right now, but just being a new mom is hard, so don't ditch bfing too early. I've been at it for a year now and in addition to the convenience, keeping my son healthier and providing superior nutrition, bfing helping me to be very in tune with him. I think it makes mothering easier. But, it does take some time to get the hang of. You're doing great!

Sounds like the PP got it all for ya. I would get rid of the formula. Like PP said, it's harder on their tummies and every time you give him a bot of formula your telling your breasts not to make milk. We've all BTDT. I just want to give you a hug and tell you you're doing a great job!! I went through 6 weeks of cracked bleeding nips, now at 8 mo, he's still BFing like a champ. It's so rewarding to watch him grow and know that MY milk is what's making him do that. How awesome!! You're doing great and you'll be fine!!!

I second what the pps have said. The first 6 weeks were painful for me, and very overwhelming as I am a first-time mom, but things got smoother and I began to enjoy breastfeeding so much. to you.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

I second everything above! I was where you are 2 weeks ago, and it does get easier! Keep using the cream, and get some good nursing pads (the Johnson and johnson's can hold A LOT of milk) LOL I have the same problem, though now at almost 5 weeks it's getting to be less of a problem, mine just likes to be messy LOL

It was hard for me to hear that it would get easier when I was there too with the pain and every 2 hours, leaking, and bad gas, hang in there you are doing great!!!

what the first poster said!!

as far as leaking, at first it was ALOT, the nursing pads never stayed in place (plus i hated wearing a bra!) but before i knew it, it stopped.... check out these boards....theres lots of great info and stories that will reenforce your decision to bf in the first place.....the beginning (and im beginning to wonder the end?? lol) is the hardest! as far as the pain, i found if i didnt think of the next time my lo was going to eat....just focused on the present time....it wasnt as bad....
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

I second everything said as well! I've had all of these problems, and still have some of them as well (at ten weeks). One, yes, it's very possible to get enough milk in ten minutes - my ten week old has been like this for most of his life and he has definitely thrived. And, two, I would heartily endorse getting a bunch of cloth diapers and using them at every feeding. I always use two - stuff one up my shirt to cover one breast, and use the second to catch what leaks out of the other breast when my son isn't actively feeding. I still leak enough sometimes - even at ten weeks - to get wet spots on my shirt, even with the cloth diaper, but they are much easier to deal with than without the cloth diaper!

Good luck! Continue looking for support here. Things will get better!

Millie

first off thank you all sooo much for all your words of encouragement!! as someone said previously... it is hard to believe that it gets easier... but i'm trying my hardest to stay positive.

we went to for his two week check up yesterday and he's growing very healthy, just a little gassy that's all.

i've been using the cloth diaper method all along... stuffing it up my shirt on one side while he feeds on the other. it just stinks that all that milk goes to waste!

i can't wait till he gets on some sort of routine or what not though. i'm so exhausted... but i'm going to do what it takes cause i love my little booger sooo much!!!

thanks again everyone!

I also leaked out of the opposite breast while feeding. Here's another tip for leaking.......

I used to latch my son on, then I'd use my free hand/wrist and apply pressure to the other breast and nipple. I'd do that until after I felt the first letdown. It worked for me!

Lisa

The first few weeks are so challenging but if you can stick with it, it will get so much easier!! Early on I didn't believe my girlfriends when they said nursing eventually doesn't hurt. For one girlfriend it took almost 6 weeks and for me it took almost 9 weeks to be pain free, but we had pain from thrush for much of that time.

The leaking will slow down as your breasts figure out how much milk your baby needs!! It takes a good 6 weeks or more to really get regulated.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807