Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't Take Pacifier

Default Won't Take Pacifier

Originally I didn't want my 3 and a half month old to take pacifier but she is using me as one all night and I'm not getting any sleep! Every twenty to forty minutes she wakes up and needs the breast to go back to sleep. I have tried giving her a pacifier every now and then since she was 4 weeks old but she just spits it out. If I insist she gets upset. Even if she is sleepy I can't fool her.

Is there anyway that I could convince her to take it? I've tried putting breastmilk on it, a few different shapes, silicon and latex ones, trying when she's sleepy.

I need sleep! Thanks.

Default Re: Won't Take Pacifier

sometimes when my lo is sleepy and restless and needs some encouragement to take her binkie and go to sleep, i will drink some juice and suck on her binkie for a minute before giving it to her. having a little taste of something sweet and different from the normal breastmilk seems very appealing to her. i don't know if sharing a binkie with my daughter is the smartest idea, but it works for us.

Definitely stay away from honey. It's not pasteurized and could cause botulism.

As far as the OP goes, some babies just don't want a pacifier. Don't push it. If your baby has a need to suck, encourage her to use her fingers instead. Here's the thing about pacifiers....it's not going to solve your nighttime troubles, because you'll STILL be up every 20-40 minutes putting it back in her mouth!

My 2 cents....

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ljgrile View Post
    If your baby has a need to suck, encourage her to use her fingers instead. Here's the thing about pacifiers....it's not going to solve your nighttime troubles, because you'll STILL be up every 20-40 minutes putting it back in her mouth!

My 2 cents....

Lisa
    AMEN!!!

My baby has a high suck need, but he will absolutely not comfort suck on the breast. I reluctantly let DH try a pacifier, and heaven help us if the baby loses it. We have to wake up anyway to stick it back in the baby's mouth! I wish I had just ridden it out and helped him learn to sleep without it

It seems hard now, but you'll be saving yourself some long-term angst.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrennia View Post
    Every twenty to forty minutes she wakes up and needs the breast to go back to sleep.
    Are you aware that there is a growth spurt at 3 monthes? She is no doubt attempting to increase your supply of milk, and even though you are ridiculously tired its nessesary to insure you produce enought to meet her needs. A pacifiyer will cloud the issue at hand right now. Supply and demand- if you allow her to stop giving your breasts cues right now she will be hungry.
    No passi. Wait a week.

Exclusively breastfed babies rarely are constipated. If you are ever concerned, please consult your doctor on how to treat it. Corn is a food that is high on the list of foods that cause allergies, so corn syrup should not be given to a baby at all.

For the OP, some babies just won't take a pacifier at all. I've had one that did and two that did not. Babies often wake for a reason, and a baby as young as yours still need to nurse throughout the night. You might find some help getting a better night's sleep from some books like Good Nights by Dr. Jay Gordon, The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley, or Nighttime Parenting by Dr. Sears. The first few months are the toughest to get through. You may find some tips for maximizing sleep for you both in any of those books. Also, on www.askdrsears.com you may find some help on nighttime parenting without reading the book.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrennia View Post
    Originally I didn't want my 3 and a half month old to take pacifier but she is using me as one all night and I'm not getting any sleep! Every twenty to forty minutes she wakes up and needs the breast to go back to sleep. I have tried giving her a pacifier every now and then since she was 4 weeks old but she just spits it out. If I insist she gets upset. Even if she is sleepy I can't fool her.

Is there anyway that I could convince her to take it? I've tried putting breastmilk on it, a few different shapes, silicon and latex ones, trying when she's sleepy.
    Do you co-sleep (I couldn't tell from your post )? What is your baby's daytime nursing pattern like?

Many babies do not take pacifiers at all (my son was one of them!). These babies prefer to come to the breast for both food and comfort.

Just to swing things away from the Karo, corn syrup and honey debate for a moment...does anyone know of any other ways to encourage a child to take a nuk. My babe is old enough for all these things, but doesn't like them very much. I am attempting to wean before the next one. he is BIG into comfort sucking and I don't want to deprive him of that. He sucked his thumb for a while, but suddenly stopped...any other ideas???

Quote Originally Posted by Garreysmum View Post
    Just to swing things away from the Karo, corn syrup and honey debate for a moment...does anyone know of any other ways to encourage a child to take a nuk. My babe is old enough for all these things, but doesn't like them very much. I am attempting to wean before the next one. he is BIG into comfort sucking and I don't want to deprive him of that. He sucked his thumb for a while, but suddenly stopped...any other ideas???
    ooh - that is tough - most people are trying to get them off the paci by the time they are older - but i feel your pain - my almost 4 month old is a comfort sucker and i told my hubby if we can get him to take the paci - i'll never take it away - haha.
    also i think some kids aren't into them no matter what u put on them. my mil (against my wishes) put sugar on my sons paci to try to get him to take it - well he took it just long enough to get the sugar off then would spit it out. she kept trying and each time he sucked just to get the sugar. so even if these things work it may be short term and my sons belly hurt and his poop was really watery - not worth it imo since he only wanted it for a short time for the sugar.
    but for an older lo what about a wubbanub type thing?
    http://www.wubbanub.com/
    these say for infants but you could maybe make your own somehow.

or this elmo doll with a paci?
    http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-H.../dp/B000BB567K

maybe seeing elmo with it would encourage him

hth - good luck

Paula
    Mom to Cody 2/3/92
    Mommy to Kaeden 10/06/06

Quote Originally Posted by Garreysmum View Post
    My girl doesn't take one that often either, maybe twice a day at most. Have you tried different brands? The nipples are so different, maybe they will like one more than another.

I would also continue to offer the nuk to them often, he may take to it at anytime.