Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My baby is breastfed and is above 99 percintile in her weight!

Question My baby is breastfed and is above 99 percintile in her weight!

Am I breastfeeding too much? Everything I read says to breastfeed on demand, and I do. Kaylee is 6 months old and weighs 21 1/2 pounds! She was born at a normal, healthy weight of 7 pounds 13 ounces. She looks soo huge now. I don't really know what to do about it, or even if I should do something about it. I have a very hard time with her falling asleep, nursing is the only way she will. Is that maybe what is making her gain so much weight. She usually gains a pound and a half a month. Any suggestions or is there anyone out there with the same problem?
    Alissa

Default Re: My baby is breastfed and is above 99 percintile in her weight!

It is perfectly normal and okay for your baby to be in the 99th percentile while nursing. If anything, you can think of it as obviously having the milk that she needs!

One thing to keep in mind is that once babies become mobile (crawling, walking, etc), they tend to slim down and the once "chunky" baby will often fall back into the "average" or even "little" category.

What a wonderful bonding opportunity, the nighttime/bedtime nursing. It sounds like the bedtime battles won't be an issue in your house.

Is your doctor making an issue of weight?? If not..I would not worry...every baby is different. I breast feed my ds (dear son) on demand and sometimes extra to help my milk supply. He is in the average range, but my friend's son is in the 95th percentile for his age and she did the same. Her doctor had no issue. I used to worry that my son wasn't chunky enough given that I was breastfeeding ( I thought bfed babies were supposed to be fatter). If the doctor doesn't have a concern then I wouldn't worry....gauge it more on how happy your baby is!

it's not a problem that she is doing so well!!

Our son is 95% for height and off the chart for weight. At 4 months he was 19.5 pounds! He is the healthiest child at his daycare and the only one not on solids. I wouldn't worry about it. My mother actually called him obese, but my Dr. said he is amazing and doing so well (due to nursing and my diet, which I am very careful about). Most pepple think he is the cutest thing ever and he is very social and happy.

Your baby is not fat, but thriving on your milk. Stop worrying! You are doing a good job. If you are like us, finding clothes that fit is probably the biggest issue :-)- they are too long, but don't zip around the legs!!
    Last edited by mustangdjb; March 16th, 2006 at 10:34 AM.

At 6 months, our daughter was 75% height and weight. Now at a year, she has dropped to just below 50%. After 6 months, their growth slows a bit. It doesn't sound like an issue.

ha ha! that is so funny! I have huge problems with her clothes. I feel so much better already, I don't know anyone else who has breast fed past 3 months so I get a lot of funny looks, and they think that must be why she is so fat. Thanks for all the responses! This is such a great place to be encouraged!

My first son was off the charts, too! I planned on breastfeeding him for 6 months, but it went so well that we kept right on going until he self-weaned at 14 months. He was a my "chunky dumplin'"! Now my newborn son is much the same. I've always read that breastfeeding is self-regulating . . . babies eat as much as they want. No worries. Cherish that dumplin'!

Chubby babies are beautiful! Everyone comments on Justice's weight. He is a chunky thing and I cherish it-it is even a little sad to me that he is slimming up now. He is 7 1/2 mos. and starting to move more and more. He weighs 19 lbs. 13 ozs. He is so healthy and happy. Just keep being proud!