Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! I'm almost in tears...

Thumbs down Help! I'm almost in tears...

My LO is 3m/1w old and I went back to work 3 weeks ago. Pumping had been going ok (I was making enough to cover 2 out of 3 of his daily bottles), but something must have happened over the weekend. Now instead of pumping 3-4 ounces each session, I am getting only a little over an ounce. I didn't even have enough to cover his two 5-oz bottles today (I had to use one of my last two frozen bags). I pump 4 times/day...3 at work and then once at night when LO is sleeping.

I am also taking fenugreek (3/3 times a day) and Reglan. Help!!!! I don't want to wean him.

Default Re: Help! I'm almost in tears...

how long are you pumping for?

For 20-30 minutes at a time.

wow i dont know what to say. a couple of things that help me seem to pump more is being warm, i wrap myself in a blanket everytime i pump and breast compressiions, basically when it seems like there is no more milk coming out i squeeze my breast and get more. keep pumping hopefully your body will start to produce more. stress always makes me pump less also. have you played with the settings on you pump, what pump are youu using? good luck

There are several things that can cause a decrease in supply. You man experience a dip in supply around the time of thier menstrual cycle. Stress is a big factor for me. The more stressed I am, the less I pump. Make sure you are eating well and staying well hydrated.

Do you pump at the same time everyday at work? I set up a routine and now when I pump at work the milk just flows. My routine is quite simple and nothing unusual. I just gather up my stuff and go to the pumping area. By the time I get everything set up, I can feel my milk let down. Looking at a picture of my LO helps alot. Some people have recorded "baby noises" to listen to when pumping to help with a let down. Try to relax as much as you can. I also have baby pics all over my office; my computer background is also a pic of my LO. Everywhere I look, I see my LO!

If you are still having trouble maybe you can take a day off of work and stay home with the baby. If you do it on a Monday or Friday, you would have 3 days to simply nurse the baby. Since babies are much better at emptying the breast than a pump, your body will learn to make more milk which will in turn increase your supply and your pumping output. Sorry it is so long but I wanted to give you as much help as I could think of. I dealt with low supply and I also EP so I have had my share of problems. The things above are what helped me get through. Are a doing a great job! Good luck. HTH!

I just have to echo a lot of what the pp said.

I pump at work too and it always cycles between times where I pump a lot and times where I pump a little. It is true that your supply will dip around the time of mentration. Another thing is that if you are pregnant you supply could drop suddenly. (if that is a possibility you may want to rule it out)

Around 4 months for my LO my supply dropped suddenly one week but I just uped my pumping to every 2 hours (instead of 3) and stuck with it. Within a week things were back to normal.

HTH

I have a question, when you say your milk just flows is it literally like a faucet? because I too have a problem with only getting milk out of a few pores sometimes only one while pumping.