Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Extending Sleep Time

Post Extending Sleep Time

I am a first time mom of a 6 week old baby boy. After some initial struggles, bf is going relatively well. He nurses usually only at one side per feeding and for about 10 minutes every 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, throughout the day and night. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to extend the period of sleep time, especially during the night? It seems that even on the occasions where he does nurse longer he still wakes within 2 1/2 hours to feed again. Or will this just come with age?

Default Re: Extending Sleep Time

Sounds pretty typical to me. It will get better at times, but I think my almost year old was nursing about that often last night. What really helped me was when my son started sleeping more total hours at night so I could, too (even if I was still waking up fairly often). It also helps if you can catch at least one nap with your lo a day.

It will come with age! At six weeks of age they NEED to eat a lot. Think of your weight now and imagine someone told you that you had to double it within a six-month period. You'd be eating all the time, and probably round the clock too!

How do you feel about taking the baby to bed with you? Many mothers find that nursing and co-sleeping go hand-in-hand very well because they don't have to get up to take care of baby in the night. Many mothers find that they can doze or even sleep through feedings this way as well. Here's a link if you're interested:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/cosleep.html

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Mine is 8 weeks and feeds about the same as yours even more frequently during the day sometimes. We sleep together and since last week I've able to nurse her lying down (took us a while to get it right) ..what a difference it makes. she's doing about 3-3.5 hours between feedings at night and since I don't have to get up or turn on the lights I'm a lot more rested in the mornings.

Thanks for the help. My son does sleep in a co-sleeper next to our bed but the side lying position has been difficult for us since he is still in a harness that he has been in since birth to help with hip dislocation - it is hard to position him. We will keep trying, however.

Oh, yeah, I can see where that would make a side-lying position more difficult. You might check our Chronic Conditions-Baby board to see if there are other mothers who have encountered the same issues.

At least with baby right by your bed, I'm assuming you can sit up and nurse in bed, right?

Hang in there!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!