Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding in the hospitial and visitors...

Default Breastfeeding in the hospitial and visitors...

My husband and I will only have a handful of people visiting us in the hospital, and wonder how I will feel with people in the room while I try to breastfeed. What's the best way to handle? It's important for me to get a good start while there, but I also don't want to be rude.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Breastfeeding in the hospitial and visitors...

you could just have your hubby say well she's going to have to breastfeed now.. that usualy sends the ones that don't want to see running for the hills..
    the ones that stick around will not care.
    ITs ok to be rude! IF your having a hard time then ask them to leave, just a simple could I have a few mins with the baby will work..
    and if they don't get the hint have hubby ask them if they want to go and get a snack or a cup of coffee...
    That will work too...

I agree with PP. Let them know that it's time to feed the baby and if they do not want to be there, trust me, they'll flee. Until you get the hang of it, being discreet is not an option. You really need to watch and pay attention to the latch. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to talk and latch at the same time. Don't worry about being rude. Nothing rude about feeding your kid. Aren't you about ready to pop that thing out yet? I'm excited for you!!!!!

Agreed with the pps. Its your hubby's job to run interference for you at this point. You'll be tired enough as it is with enough to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by nywifey View Post
    It's important for me to get a good start while there, but I also don't want to be rude.
    Your absolute priority is to take care of your baby and yourself.

You are not going to be there in the hospital so you can be a Martha Stewart of hospitality and entertainment.

Do what you need to do - it is NOT at all rude to just politely but bluntly say that it's time for baby to eat and you are breastfeeding.

If you feel comfortable having people around who are comfortable with seeing your breasts then let them stay. If having extra people around is going to make it difficult for you and LO to concentrate on getting a good latch and nursing session then be very explicit that you need to feed the baby and it's time for all visitors to leave. Or have your DH be the "bad guy". You can suggest they go down the hall to the waiting area and DH can go get them when you are done nursing.

The same goes for visitors at home the first few weeks - your primary focus is the baby and yourself. If visitors are getting in the way of your nursing or they or you are uncomfortable you CAN politely tell visitors that you're so glad they came over but it's time to leave and you're looking forward to seeing them the next day (or whenever).
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks for your advice! You are all so right.

I exicted about meeting my LO, but I still feel comfortable so I don't have the feeling of get this baby out of me!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    [B]
    You are not going to be there in the hospital so you can be a Martha Stewart of hospitality and entertainment.
    This is so the truth!!! Just assert your husband to let them know to get out!

I jest... If this is approached before hand it may help as well. Who are you most worried about being offended by you asking them to leave? If it's your IL's then it is hubby job to let them know you would rather get off to a great start without an audience. If it's your family then you can tell them the same thing. People have this weird thing about being at the hospital when baby is born, when they have the whole life of the child to be around them. It is a bizzare concept to me to want to flood a person down with visitors right after birth!

Oh and you can let a nurse know about your wishes as they can assist in keeping visitors out.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

It's great that you're thinking about this now because I had a major problem with visitors making me feel self conscious about trying to breastfeed with my first baby. It wasn't anything they did--I was a first time mom & I was really having a hard time getting things started, so the end result was that visitors held my baby & cut into my learning time.

I would start telling your family that you are going to need a lot of alone time right after the birth so you can get comfortable with latching on, positioning, etc. There's plenty of time for everyone to see the baby later--you will want to make sure that you're spending your initial time and energy getting acquainted with breastfeeding and your baby. I spent the first few days topless because I couldn't juggle keeping my shirt up, positioning the baby & trying to get a good latch going--and I remember people knocking on the door. Needless to say, it really raised my stress and frustration level, which is the last thing a new breastfeeding mom needs! Your baby will sense your feelings and not want to breastfeed.

I know family & friends really want to see the baby, but this is one time that you can't worry about their feelings. You need time alone with your baby to get breastfeeding established--and you can't do that and entertain visitors who will just want to hold the baby. If you tell everyone beforehand, there won't be any hurt feelings, and if there are, they'll get over them!

Also--have your DH make a sign to put on the door saying "Sorry--No Visitors--Mom is busy breastfeeding right now"--that way people will know to come back later.

Good luck!
    Last edited by liebchen77; January 26th, 2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added something else

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I agree with the previous posters. Have DH take the lead and let them know. You need to feel comfortable nursing and having a ton of people around you will certainly not feel comfortable. Hopefully your DB does wonderfully from the start and congrats!

Melissa

I have a great idea for my next hospital stay. The visitors that really drive me crazy are the hospital staff - coming in every few minutes. Maybe I'll just stay topless with a sign on my door for my whole stay!

The other difficulty with visitors for me was that my first lo slept a lot (he was a little early) so it would be time to wake and nurse the baby but it was harder to tell people they needed to leave so I could nurse when the baby was sleeping peacefully. Of course I don't think it would be as hard for me now but I was younger then and newer to it all.

Good luck with your delivery!

Laura