Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breastfeeding in the hospitial and visitors...

Default Re: Breastfeeding in the hospitial and visitors...

Its good that you are asking these questions. I on the other hand, did not, and we suffered a little from not being prepared.

I am very social and enjoyed each and every visitor that came to see us in the hospital. Maybe it was the elation of having a new little person, the excitement of showing her off to my friends and family, that led me to actually PULL HER OFF THE BREAST when visitors came. It was so foolish and I realized my HUGE MISTAKE when upon discharge, the Dr. said she had lost too much weight. Went from 8.9 to 7.14. I felt so guilty, but you make mistakes and learn from them (thinking positive here!!).

Our visitors didn't stop at the hospital. We had even more coming by the house, but you better believe that half of them didn't lay eyes on our LO because if she was hungry, we went in the nursery BY OURSELVES to nurse. Nothing else mattered but her needs and I learned the hard way.

Also, I am somewhat modest and have tried to overcome it by nursing in front of my female friends/family. But I realized that even though I was trying, I was still uncomfortable and that made LO feel my anxiety. So we have to nurse in "private", be it a bedroom at a friend's house or a corner of a room without people close by, or planning outings/visitors around her feedings. Good luck to you and your LO!!!

Overdue now? I was too. I had to be induced. Argh!

IMO, be rude if you absolutely have to. Of course, do everything else you can first to try and eliminate overstayed welcomes. You will probably be exhausted and need time to get to know your baby and bond. Get your baby's father to understand your concerns, and have him ready to tell them you need some time to yourselves when the need arises. All you have to do it ask them to let you rest and tell them they can see the baby again soon. Don't be afraid to ask this of them, or to have your baby's daddy ask them, because I didn't do these things and I sorely regret it. A young couple we barely know just showed up in our room, with their sick toddler! I was so scared of the germs that I cried when they left!

Anyways, I hope your stay goes wonderfully and good luck with everything!

I lve in a country where the birth of a child is a social event. Relatives you barely know or our parents' friends wanted to vsit us. I made clear to everyone that if somebody comes while i have the baby in the room i won't allow him/her to enter. Usually in Greece babies go to the nursery room and the nurses bring the babies 5 times per day. We payed a fortune to have our own room in order to be able to have rooming in the baby. That's why outside the room we had a label which said that i breastfeed. I remember my husband's cousin came with his wife and toddler (it was not allowed by the nurses to enter the floor and was caught to a playroom of the clinic) and i told them excuse me you have to leave.I was exchausted, with pain and i had a baby crying all time. They told me that i was wrong! I hd to leave the baby to the nursery room in order to be free for my visitors . I was rude, but i don't care.

you need to do what ever makes you feel the most confortable...even if that means telling your visitors that they need to leave the room! everyone will understand...as excited as they are to see you and your new arrival, they also want what is best for you and the baby. this is the time to be selfish with the time you need with your lo...there will be lots of time later for everyone else to bond with your baby. be strong and do whatever you need to so that you and your new arrival have the best start.

You can put a sign on the door that says something like "Dear visitors, please check in at the front desk prior to entering, as the family is getting some much needed rest. Thank you". It is not rude to let folks know they can't just walk in. I also have to admit, my DH family came in the room right after delivery and again once when I was getting sick so I asked DH to take DS to the door so they could see him, but not come into the room while I was getting sick. They did not see us again until we came home. I told everyone when I was prego that I did not want any visitors because I knew how stressed/exhausted/physically tapped out I would be. I just didn't feel like having my DH family in the room while I waddled arround with a giant pad and ice pack between my legs! I also wanted the birth of our first baby to be a very private and intimate experience.

I know to some this may seem selfish, but I have seen (on a very regular basis) mom being painfully spent and still trying to entertain. Also don't forget to ask the staff if they wouldn't mind playing the "bad guy", so that it takes the pressure off of you and DH.

Good for you for thinking ahead!!! You are going to do great Congrats I cant wait for some picts!!!!!

don't worry about being rude, it won't be if you need private time to feed, and you never know you might not get embarressed doing something so natural. i thought i would be but it turns out i'm not and you don't need to be all on display while feeding, it is possible to be discreet.

just as an aside, i was a week overdue with my first aswell, hope you get to meet your one soon! i'll have to keep checking...

There was a curtain in my hospital room that we could use to seperate my bed from the rest of the room. Whenever I breast fed, my husband would pull the curtain, stand on the other side, chat with visitors, and let them know that I was breast feeding at this time. When I was finished, we would remove the curtain and allow the visitors to visit with me and baby.

The was perfect for us, and my visitors still had my husband to interact with while they waited.

I was so exhausted in the hospital that I did not care who saw what. Now, I am much more shy about it!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

If Vistors Don't Like What Is Going On They Can Leave The Room, It's Not Being Rude, It's What You Need To Do To Feed Your Lo..i Didn't Have Any Problems While In The Hospital And Vistors..i Think Dh Was More Worried Than I Was
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Thumbs up Re: Breastfeeding in the hospitial and visitors...

I am with ALL of you on this...and you are making me feel normal. We are expecting our 2nd in March and it's been 5 years. The first time I wanted everyone to see the 1st. I didn't even care how long people stayed! Looking back, I have choice words for myself.

I've already given the parents a heads up and my OB. NO PHONE CALL NO ENTRY. My OB says deal with them before they get there or put it off on the nursing staff (apparently there are some nurses who LOVE to turn away unwanted guests). I am very set in my ways with how I feel about guests and my recovery. No one but me is this child's mother and no one is recovering but me. I was a BF drop out with my first and I think it's because I didn't do things right in the hospital. I am looking forward to mothering 2 children and I know that I have to be attentive to getting to know the new one while identifying struggles with the other. Learn all you can while the insurance is paying, try to relax and remember, in 2 weeks, that baby is still going to be around!

Think of it this way, it's one time in your life when you don't have to regret being rude. You are your child's only advocate! No one knows what's best but you. (You can tell I am a teacher.)

I'll be thinking of you all when I shoo away the unwanteds!