Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: basic pumping question

Default basic pumping question

okay, so i have been exclusively bf'ing my 4 week old daughter. now, i have been trying to get a supply of milk so that i can go out every now and again but am having trouble. i was told to pump right after feeding her, so i've tried but i don't get anything. i drink a full glass of water before and during bf'ing and pumping, i'm relaxed but i still don't get anything. when does everyone else pump? any suugestions?

thanks

Default Re: basic pumping question

What kind of pump are you using? If it's not a quality pump such as an Avent Isis, Medela or Ameda then that could be your problem. However, you might want to try pumping about 1 hour after nursing rather than right afterwards. Many women have more success if they do it this way. Also, your supply will be at its highest in the morning so perhaps pumping then will yield you some results.

That said, pumping is very much a learned process. Keep trying!

I use an electric medela. i also just bpiught a manual, which is serving to be useless since i din't even get a drop from it. i'll try pumping in the morning. maybe that'll work.

pump a little in the morning before baby nurses, she is better at stimulation than any pump and since your breast is never really totally empty you won't be taking her food away.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)