Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I would like to ween my baby to breastmilk in a bottle. NEED HELP!

Exclamation I would like to ween my baby to breastmilk in a bottle. NEED HELP!

I am having huge problems!
    My baby is 6 months old, and I want to give her breast milk until she is a year or two old. Up until now I have exclusively breastfed. I have just started her on solids and she loves it! The problem I am having is that I would love for her to take breast milk from a bottle, so that I can drop her off at families and so I can have a little more feedom. But she ABSOLUTELY will NOT take a bottle. She acts offended. I have tried so many different things, my dh has also tried to no avail. Today was aweful because she likes to suck before she falls asleep and that is another thing I want to get away from (i want to get away from this bc she is 21 1/2 pounds) so I tried everything possible to get her to fall asleep without sucking. She doesn't take a bottle or passifier so I tried walking bouncing singing rocking, etc.... She screamed for an hour and a half!!! It killed me inside. She was looking at me and trying to suck my cheeks or any flesh she could get her lips on, it was sooo sad, I even started crying because I have no idea if I am doing the right thing or not. I never want to make my baby cry like that. I have no idea if her weight is bc she feeds for comfort or if it is just genetics. I am so confused I don't know what to do, does anyone have any advice???

Default Re: I would like to ween my baby to breastmilk in a bottle. NEED HELP!

I understand your concerns about weight completely! I had quite the chunky breastfed baby with #2! Boy, was she a butterball. She's thinned out some since she's been walking, but she's still got some fat there! Because you are breastfeeding, this is probably the weight your dd was designed to be. The great thing about breastfeeding is that babies can self regulate how much nutrition they get based on their own individual needs. This is one of the reasons breastfeeding helps combat obesity later in life. Growth typically slows in the last half of the first year, so it is not likely to progress as rapidly as it has.

Regarding expressed milk in a bottle....it can be difficult to get a baby this age to accept a bottle. It's quite foreign to them and they know where the good stuff is! Have you tried a sippy cup? It may take some time, but once she is accostomed to it, you might be able to have a little more flexibility that you want. Six months is a good age to start a cup anyway.

I know from experience that it can be frustrating being the only source of nutrition and comfort. My dd also would not use a pacifier. She did learn later to suck on her own fingers because she did not want milk when she wanted to suck for comfort.

One thing that helped me put into perspective was to look at this time in my baby's life as such a small part of their entire life. When you think about the time you spend nursing, it is really just a snippet of their entire life. Even if you nurse until the minimum 12 months recommended by the AAP, it is still only 1/18th of their childhood, 1/40th of half of their life, 1/80th of their entire life. It usually passes by much more quickly than it seems at the time.

Teaching a baby to not nurse to sleep is often one of the most difficult nursings to change. If it's not working, it's ok to continue as normal for a little bit and try again later. Your instincts will tell you what is right for you and your family. Only you can know truly what is best for you and your daughter. Trust in your instincts to guide you!
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Oh, thank you so much for addressing this issue, you have no idea how great it feels to have someone identify with me. I don't know anyone who is or has breastfed more than 3 months. And the part about following my insticts, is perfect and so true. I realized the reason I am so gunhoe on weening is bc I am worried about what everyone will think, but my insticts say the opposite, that is why it is so emotionally hard on me. After Kaylee finally went to sleep after the hour and a half long episode (only bc I finally breastfed) she slept for four and half hours! I felt so horrible, so when she was ready to nurse later on in the day, I gladly gave it to her, and it felt so right and good - for both of us. No screaming, no crying, no feeling bad, just good happy feelings.
    It's so crazy that everyone thinks it's wrong to breastfeed after 6 months, when it is so right. The funny thing is while I was pregnant me and my friend would always talk about how silly it was to see a baby past 6 months breastfeeding. Well call me silly!
    Your response has helped to feel better and to solidify what I felt deep down. Also it was good to hear about another chubby baby. Thank you!

Oh - and another thing I was thinking about was that it is so accepted and understood to hear someone say, "I tried breastfeeding, but the baby wouldn't take to it, so I had to give her formula". Everyone understands and empathizes with that. But if you say, "I tried weening and giving her formula or a bottle, she wouldn't take to it, so I had to keep nursing", NOBODY understands that, they say your spoiling her and you'll never wean and oh that is so wrong!
    lol - isnt' that funny?

Yes, most of the attitudes you are talking about are cultural. There are a lot of people out there that believe otherwise, they just might not be obvious. I had a lot of attitudes about children before I had my own...LOL! I never thought I'd do some of the things I've done with my kids. But I followed my instincts, and that is something that I'm still learning to do as they get older. It's just *hard* because if it's not friends and family, it's the baby magazines, the so-called experts in books. Don't get me wrong, it's great to have the info, but sometimes too much would drive me crazy especially if it conflicted with my instincts.

Is there a LLL group near you? Meetings can be a great way to affirm your committment to breastfeeding. There are women there who've been in your shoes who can give you support and encouragement along the way. As your baby ages, there's always a new question that pops up and the info from LLL meetings will always be in support of your decision to breastfeed. It's also a nice way to get out of the house and talk to people who can say complete sentences....LOL!

If you get the "she'll never wean" comments, you can always respond with "how many college students are still nursing?" So funny how people think it'll never happen. There's just an abundance of adults still nursing to prove that theory...hehe. Advice comes out of the woodwork when you are pregnant and only gets worse after the baby comes. One thing that helped me with comments from well-meaning friends was "my doctor recommends nursing at least a year", and even if you've never discussed it with your pediatrician, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends at least 12 months. Somehow having the doctor's approval helps with many of the people trying to help you.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids