Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dr recommended weaning???

Default Re: dr recommended weaning???

I really think that you should contemplate finding another ped. I am a OB and Peds nurse and find it very concerning that this opinion is held by someone who is caring for newborns. Not only is it recommended that breastfeeding should occur after the first year if mom and baby desire, but 19 pounds, although on the small side, is not unhealthy for a 1 year old. My little girl turned 1 on the 22nd of this month, and weighs 20 lbs. Her ped is not concerned about her weight at all. I find it very disturbing that someone in the medical profession would discourage anyone from breastfeeding, especially someone who is obviously comitted and has done a great job. Since your baby is getting some whole milk already in childcare, I would absolutely be BFing while able, for your baby's health of course. As long as your baby is eating a healthy diet, is active and you and he both want to continue nursing, keep at it.
    By the way, about the walking thing....I would not be concerned about that at this point. Has your LO achieved other milestones, like sitting up and crawling (or scooting), if so, don't be concerned.

Smile Re: dr recommended weaning???

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice...I didn't think it all sounded right. On the BF issue, I pretty much just blew him off about that. I figured ds will wean when he gets ready and since he only really nurses evenings and nights anyway i'm gonna enjoy it while I can! On the weight, that one threw me for a loop because he seems average to me. The fact that he didn't put on any weight between the two checkups would be concerning to me if he wasn't eating or active, and the fact that he grew an inch and 1/2 in 2 1/2 months seems to me like he's growing just fine.

About walking, he does pull up, he does cruise around furniture, and he even uses one of those activity walkers(that they push around when learning) and gets around the house in a mad dash!! He started public day care a couple of weeks ago and I can log on to the internet and watch him, and the last few days he's started walking around on his knees while he's there. ?? He's the only one in his room that isn't walking yet. My personal opinion is that he COULD walk if he tried, but he's chicken, and that's okay by me. My other two children walked at 10 months, and I'm enjoying him being a baby, since he's my last one. As far as other milestones go, he's absolutely right on target. He's smart, active, eats well, nurses well, communicates well, and is healthy. So I think I will take your advice and look for another ped. I just don't feel comfortable entrusting my child to someone with such erratic opinions that are SO completely different from mine!!

Thanks again for all the input and advice!!

Oh man... tell me about it...

My ped told me that I needed to start solids BEFORE his next appointment (at 3 1/2 months)... and it had to be RICE cereal, and I needed to try every day until he'd take it w/o pushing it out. And "then you can start weaning if you want so you can get back on dairy products"...

Unfortunately, he's one of the very few who take my insurance, and the only one accepting patients. I was hoping that since he had JUST GRADUATED MED SCHOOL, maybe he'd know something, you know?

Glad I do my own research, and I feel bad for the other moms who see him. I told DH we basically see him for the vaccinations (and scale) and ignore everything else that comes out of his mouth.

Oh forgot to mention about the walking...

I had a friend who's daughter was going to physical therapy for not walking (they couldn't figure out if anything was wrong and discontined it when she turned 2) at 18 mos. At 25 months she just started walking... but you know, she could recognize letters and spell words at 15 months, and she's reading simple books now at almost 3. Look for your LO's strengths

I live in small town Minnesota, and my Ped. said almost the same thing! He told me that child-led weaning is a "bad idea" because I'll dry up and my DS will just be using me as a pacifier. I politely responded with, "I'll think about it." Unless I want to drive an hour to Duluth, there really isn't anyone else up here to see DS, so I'm stuck with my ped. Oh, and by the way, my 10 mo son is 18 lbs., and I suspect he'll be right around 19-20 at a year. He's also 29 inches tall! This culture has come to prefer "gerber babies" that are round and BIG. I'm not saying this is wrong, what I'm saying is just because your baby isn't "overachieving" on the scales doesn't mean he's not an overachiever! It's perfectly okay for a baby to not gain weight between visits. However, if he starts to loose weight or continues to drop percentiles (e.g. he was moving steadily along the 20th but is now down to the 5th) after 3 or more visits, or shows other signs that he's not thriving, then I would explore more. But the nurse was right, your baby put his calories into growing up, not out.

sometimes I think.. how often we get to bf? to me its like once in a life time.. coz bf is to a child furthere more.. my own bb. I will be more relieve if he wean himself.. rather then listen to the pead said bm is less nutrition. Mom's milk is best, how can compare it with Cows milk. My bb is not cow.

Good lord. What is up with malinformed MDs? That's it. I'm starting the thread...

ETA:

Done. http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...576#post122576
    Last edited by @llli*evin; January 30th, 2007 at 09:57 PM.